Hurst shifter upgrade

The Big Comets
Sabatona

Hurst shifter upgrade

Post by Sabatona »

Hi all:

I am considering to upgrade the shifter in my 66 4 speed toploader to Hurst unit.

Was curious as to if anyone on this forum has done this, and what did you think?

Im pretty sure I found the correct shifter and install kit on the Hurst site.

My car has a new stock shifter assembly installed, but it sometimes gets stuck between gears when down shifting.

I checked the alignment of the shifter rods using the 1/4" tool, and it looks to be set properly.

I also have lubed it, nothing seems to fix the problem.

Its driveable for sure, just bugs me that its getting stuck at times, so I thought the Hurst upgrade might do the trick.

Thanks in advance. Len
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C
DSO 84 Home Office Reserve

comethead

Re: Hurst shifter upgrade

Post by comethead »

I have a Hurst on my Comet Toploader. I love it.
You'll notice shift quality and throw are about the same as a good new stock shifter but the Hurst is definitely stronger in and out!

On your stock shifter- are any of the rods bent that you can tell? The adjustment should allow smooth entry of the alignment tool without forcing.
If you disconnect the shifter from the trans and find neutral for each gear is there any binding in the trans? The internal shift rails and detents must also be set correctly for neutral to be right. If they are not right a new shifter may not help.

Also, check clutch linkage adjustment and free play.

A shop manual would help you look at those items.

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Len take a look here http://www.musclecardiy.com/transmissio ... smissions/
Pay particular attention to the interlock and detent installation section to see what I mean. If that's not right (or the tiny interlock pin isn't installed) there could be issues like yours.
I tore one down once and there was no interlock pin installed. The 70s was a long decade man!! :lol:
I'm not suggesting you remove your trans and tear into it- just letting you know the issue could be deeper inside the trans.
Let's hope not!
Good luck and keep us posted.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I have a hurst on my toploader too. & like Joe I love mine too. smooth! :D Joe knows his stuff on these trans & shifters. :wink:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HURST shifters are nice,have had them in the past,have one in my 84 5.0 capri right now....but yrs ago when I went to a 4spd in my comet,my son built all new bushings and small plastic washers and coponants on a lathe for my stock shifter,,,it does and always shifts as smooth as can be,in fact we made all new linkage,,,I like the period look.....but I have had to deal with worn out shifters in the past,and there ain't much any hateful-er !!{ is that a word? or did I make it up ?} :shock: :wink: :roll:
pop/glenda

Sabatona

Post by Sabatona »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Everything seems in order under the car, nothing looks bent or abused. Tranny us super clean. Previous owner said he had it out when he had the motor out and had the tranny serviced.....at least thats what he said....

Might consider taking the Cyclone to my transmission guy and see what he thinks...

It looks to me that the center shaft/plunger (large diameter with the spring around it) is sticking. I got the shifter to stick between gears, and the shaft had not popped into place. When I wiggled the shifter to get it to go into gears, I looked under the car again and the shaft/plunger was in a different position.....

Shifter looks new, but maybe its a cheap repro or a poorly rebuilt unit?

Runs and shifts as is, just not 100% confident in it as just when I think its broken in, it gets stuck. Since its usually when I am downshifting, its not a huge problem. More annoying than a problem.

Thanks.
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C

Sabatona

Post by Sabatona »

Hi Guys:

Well...last Saturday I decided to remove the stock shifter and linkage and install the new Hurst shifter and linkage kit.

All I can say is WOW!!!!

The Hurst shifter fixed all of the downshifting problems I was having, plus, the throw on this shifter is way nicer and tighter than the stock unit.

The Cyclone feels like a totally different car!

I was able to take my first relaxing drives with it, no longer worrying about getting it back into gear.

Although its not stock, I would highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with a stock shifter. I personally think it looks way cool, and the look is period correct for the car.

Off to take the Cyclone for another fun drive! Len

PS: Since Photobucket screwed everyone on 3rd party hosting, I just changed to CubeUpload.com for free....
Sabatona
66 Cyclone Convertible
390 4V 4 Speed
Factory In Dash A/C