need help guys tach issues

The Big Comets
tomahawkcomet

need help guys tach issues

Post by tomahawkcomet »

scored myself a tach, dono if i over paid for it but i also have spend 400 on a tachometer before too so i guess it was just how much i wanted it :mrgreen:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-Comet-Cyclon ... 487wt_1170
Last edited by tomahawkcomet on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67 caliente

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: awesome find ;)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks like its in nice shape. We need photos when you get it installed.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

TO me if your happy with the price you had to pay for it,so be it,you got a deal !! thanks and enjoy ! POP :D
pop/glenda

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

I agree with POPS. If you want it then it doesn't matter what it cost. As long as you're happy wiz on everybody else, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

6T5 404

Post by 6T5 404 »

When was the last time you saw another one for sale? You are happy so it was a good deal.
POP has a lot of knowledge stored under that hat so I agree with him.
Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks for the kind words,dave........pop :D :) :)
pop/glenda

Jedeka

Post by Jedeka »

I am new to the Comet cars, but was wondering if the 5 gauge panel will fit into a 67?

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

it wont the dash pad only has 4 humps
67 caliente

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

alright guys I need help tonight I went to install the factory tach, and it only has 2 wires coming out of it a red and black wire, I assumed the red was the tach wire and black was ground, so after I installed it and wired it all up it grounds the HEI dist and the car wont start un hook it and it fires right up no problem, I switched the wires around( red to ground black to the tach on the HEI) same thing happens? would the factory tach not work cuz its for a coil? but my HEI has a spot for a tach? alright experts help me out is it a bad tach?
67 caliente

Comechero65

Re: need help guys tach issues

Post by Comechero65 »

Quite some time has gone by since you posted your problem hooking up your tach. Noticed there were no responses to your question.
If the tach has only two wires it is a Faria tach. It has to be connected in series with the wiring to the coil. It also requires a standard ford coil meaning one that needs a ballast resistor or pink wire as most fords have built into the underdash wiring harness. The ballast resistor or pink wire puts the correct series resistance in the circuit and without it the tach will be damaged. And it must be connected red to ign, black to the pink wire or ballast. Connecting it red to ign and black to ground it will not work and be damaged.
And chances are it will not work with an HEI dist without some special wiring mods. works best to use a ballast required coil.
Hope you have figured this out and no damage to the tach.
Ron

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

Thanks for the response! Wish I would knew such a thing...I might of killed the tach I dono have since got an after market gauge and wired it in...agian thanks I almost wanna switch :oops: back and hook it up to see if I killed it
67 caliente

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

tomahawkcomet wrote:Thanks for the response! Wish I would knew such a thing...I might of killed the tach I dono have since got an after market gauge and wired it in...agian thanks I almost wanna switch :oops: back and hook it up to see if I killed it
GO for it !! you'll never know 'til you try.........good luck...pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

You can still try it out if you can get to the red/grn wire coming from the ign sw that connects to the pink wire. That connection is hard to reach from under the dash. Easier to get to if you can pull the cluster out. You just need to extend that wiring down where you can plug in the tach to test it. The harnesses that are made for a mustang rally-pac do just that.
You could hook it up at the engine but you would need a ballast or another pink wire to simulate the circuit from there. The pink wire or ballast must be after the tach between it and the coil for proper loading. At least you would know it the tach is still good or not.
Ron

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

if you fried it which more than likely you did I bet I know someone who could fix it :mrgreen:

tomahawkcomet

Post by tomahawkcomet »

who and at what price? be nice to have it restored as it is faded yea well update clusters gotta come out anyways my dash lights went out
67 caliente