Re: 1966 Comet Cyclone GT "S" code

Post by Groover »

1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

will_64

Post by will_64 »

Here's the pic of the '66 Comet Cyclone GT. Rough but definitely worth saving! Look at the front end, do you guys think it might have been set up for racing at one time? Front end looks high and wheels look small in front.
[[URL=http://s1380.photobucket.com/user ... .jpg[/img]/url]

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Is the motor in it?? pop
pop/glenda

will_64

Post by will_64 »

Hey Pop, the man said it was. Does it look like a doable project to you from the pic, not too rough? I need to make sure it's the original "S" code 390 that's in it. Is there a way to tell by the casting #'s on the block to make sure it's the "S" code and not a different 390?

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Looks great. And to answer your question on the block. underneath there will be a C6ME I think it is but C6 for sure. The thing with the 390 in that body is the heads/exhaust manifolds. They are different. Most 390's have a flat log manifold (junk). The GT has a different exhaust port location on the front and rear of the heads, they are slightly lower than the two center exhaust ports. If you lay a straight edge across the top exhaust bolts you'll see that the fronts/rears are lower by oh 1/4". I am not saying the GT manifolds are better than the other, they aren't designed well either. Bottom line is if it has GT manifolds it has GT heads. I forget the casting number for the heads. You can read it between the two center spark plugs. Once again it will start with C6 for "66". Fifth digit on the left fender apron on top should be an "S".
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

will_64

Post by will_64 »

Thanks for the help Lip Ripper, last question did the 66 Comet GT, if equipped, come with the tach sitting on the dash? Where would it have been placed if not on the dash. Haven't been able to find any good original pics.

Groover

Post by Groover »

popscomet wrote:Is the motor in it?? pop
That was my first question. Maybe the 390 was swapped for a 144 to get it to sit so high ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

will_64

Post by will_64 »

Haha! You never know, people do crazy things!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

A lot of 60s era FoMoCo products set high in the front from the factory,so,hard to tell,any evidence of traction devices on the rear end?! Not sure on 66s but 67 Cyclones had the tack in the instrument cluster! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

will_64 wrote:Hey Pop, the man said it was. Does it look like a doable project to you from the pic, not too rough? I need to make sure it's the original "S" code 390 that's in it. Is there a way to tell by the casting #'s on the block to make sure it's the "S" code and not a different 390?
MAN from where pop is seated it looks very doable..get that thing if at all possible,if I didn't have my cobra kit car and the front end to rebuild on my 66 f100 as well as wanting to take the 390 out of it and install a 6cyl,,I'd love to have it,,,,but POP is covered up...plus I have a bad head on my 1978 350 dually,,,,but you get and build it and drive the beans out of it.....good luck ol pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Looks great. And to answer your question on the block. underneath there will be a C6ME I think it is but C6 for sure. The thing with the 390 in that body is the heads/exhaust manifolds. They are different. Most 390's have a flat log manifold (junk). The GT has a different exhaust port location on the front and rear of the heads, they are slightly lower than the two center exhaust ports. If you lay a straight edge across the top exhaust bolts you'll see that the fronts/rears are lower by oh 1/4". I am not saying the GT manifolds are better than the other, they aren't designed well either. Bottom line is if it has GT manifolds it has GT heads. I forget the casting number for the heads. You can read it between the two center spark plugs. Once again it will start with C6 for "66". Fifth digit on the left fender apron on top should be an "S".
AND on the pass side there is a special spacer block between the manifold and the exhaust pipe......
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

A great forum to find A LOT of FE information is FORDFE.com .There are a lot of knowledgable people on there! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals