Interior work

The Big Comets
dcducks1

Interior work

Post by dcducks1 »

I replaced the carpet after I got the car and I went "on the cheap" and didn't put any sound insulation in. I have purchased insulation and will make that a spring project. I also bought a new headliner and was wondering if this is something I should try and tackle or hand it off to the pros. I called a shop nearby and they want about $350 to do the liner (that I will be supplying) and I thought that was a little high. BUT, after researching it, it looks as though the rear window needs to be out to do this properly. Does that sound right?

Dave

SASSY

Re: Interior work

Post by SASSY »

Dc,, sounds decent price to me. Rear window needs to come out, not sure how it fits around the doors but that is all time.
Wlndshield trim R+R and maybe remove windshield ( on some cars the liner wraps around and is glued to the seam.
Theres several man hrs there, if the shop has a good reputation and you trust them I wouldn't hesitate at that price.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

Sassy, thanks for the reply. At first the price sounded high but after I looked at what was entailed, it did look like several manhours of labor. Thanks for the input.

Dave

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Back in the 90's when I had a new head-liner and the seats redone in my 64,the old man did not remove the F or R glass,,and after all these years it still looks good.....so some remove and some don't...this was a MOM and POP operation in thier little back yard shop and they were busy all the time,,as they did super good work,plus he was a personal friend and we had split many a 6 pak of Pabst blue ribbon,,,and his son worked with me at the Railroad,,so maybe he just took the xtra effort just for me...?....POP
pop/glenda

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

I picked up a new rear window seal just in case. As soon as this East Coast winter weather breaks I will take it up to the shop to see what they think.

Dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

It's pretty hard, not impossible, to replace the headliner with the rear or front glass still in place. I did my own and had never done one before but it came out just fine. Just get a tube of 3m Super Weatherstrip adhesive either black or yellow. That's the best stuff to stick it in place.
Ron

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

dcducks1 wrote:I picked up a new rear window seal just in case. As soon as this East Coast winter weather breaks I will take it up to the shop to see what they think.

Dave
Good on ya!
great time to install one.
Like a DUMMY I put a new windshield in mine with the old rubber,,,OF COURSE IT LEAKS!! :cry: :roll:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about