15" x *' steel aero rims

The Big Comets
encgalax

15" x *' steel aero rims

Post by encgalax »

I am turning a 1966 Comet Caliente into a 60's era stock car replica to drive on the road. The 14'' rims are quite difficult to find tires for so I want to put it on 15"ers. I would love to put it on 15" steel Aero rims that are 8" wide with 4" back space. Any thoughts on them fitting under my comet?

wgreggking

Re: 15" x *' steel aero rims

Post by wgreggking »

here are some street legal wheels with 15 x 7 and 15 x 8 with various backsets. Sounds like a cool projecthttp://www.circletracksupply.com/basset ... -15x8.html
Image 64 caliente 302 auto

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

I have 15x8 w/275/60/15 BFG's on my '66 Fairlane. They are 4-1/2 back space. I have about 3/8" between the inner tire wall and leaf spring. I did trim my fender well lip about 7/16". I trimmed through the spot welds and blended at the lower fender well openings. I put my trim on and trimmed it to match. No one can tell without looking very close. No rubs. However one issue many people over look is the outer wheel well has a bulge that goes inward. Even if you clear the fender well lip most side walls will rub the bulge above the lip. I tapped the bulge in and I have no rub through the entire suspension travel.

Gosh I forgot how ugly it looked under there before the new paint.

Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

encgalax

Post by encgalax »

Thanks Fairlaneiac, That is what I will do. It should not be that difficult because mine will not need to be as pretty as yours since it is just going to be sprayed white as a stock car replica. I need to do some measuring and thinking to figure out my back spacing. I should be able to figure it pretty close by measuring from the brake drum back. I know that dimension can't be fixed with a bat like the fender.
Thanks man! Cool car