The little things

The Big Comets
dcducks1

The little things

Post by dcducks1 »

So, as we move into the car show season, I have been trying to clean this, fix that, polish this, replace that. Today I found rear door seals for my Comet. They are from a '66 Fairlane but I think they should be the same parts....we shall see. The road noise, draft around the rear doors is pretty bad so I want this problem solved. I also ordered new taillight lenses and the gaskets to go with. One lens has a crack and spider cracks and the other is just spider cracked. I figured there is no reason to believe the gaskets are in good shape after all of these years so I might as well replace them.
I was thinking about getting the insulation for under the hood and was wondering if anyone has added this or replaced this in their car. I see on eBay that it comes with clips for installation but I see others that say it needs spray adhesive. Can anyone tell me which it is, do the clips do a nice job of holding the material, is it pretty easy and straightforward, does it reduce engine noise pretty well? I still need to get the car in to have the headliner and rear window seal replaced. The little things.........a little at a time.

Dave

poboyjo65

Re: The little things

Post by poboyjo65 »

Let me give you something to think about. Yea it will look good for a month or a few months.
it is a dust magnet. How will you clean it? so when You slam your hood the dust will fly,you wont notice though,unless you just cleaned up your engine & forgot to vacuum your insulation :lol: Your can just wipe off your bare bottom of hood. You don't like the sound of your motor????? if not turn up the radio!! :lol: I would spend that money on something else for the car, like gas!!

Groover may know if it helps with sound ,he put new stuff on his. I cant see it being worth it but if it came new on there then it's going back on there for his car! If you look up stock guy in the webster, it will say ''see Groover'' :lol: :lol:
Johno

dcducks1

Post by dcducks1 »

I like the brutal honesty. It appears that my car didn't come with any insulation stock. I like (love) the sound of my motor and was just curious of what I might be overlooking by adding this. By your inputs, I think I will pass on adding this. Thanks

Dave

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

OK glad to help you save some money. I'll try to make it up by helping you spend some somewhere down the line! :lol: :lol:
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

John is correct. If it came from Lorain, it's on our Comet (or will be one day).

Yes we bought the under hood insulation. Yes it takes the edge of the engine chatter. More noticeable with the top closed or standing by the car. Ours is so quiet with the top down, it wouldn't matter.

Yes, we used adhesive rather than clips to hold it up and it's stayed pretty well. Not having any dust troubles like John, but we keep ours steam cleaned by radiator blow off (damn re-manufactured radiators). We're trying to solve that by putting our original radiator back in ('cause that's the way Lorian wants it to be). Two cores is all you need. Still runs as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Either way you're gonna hear the engine when you want to, but the insulation does give a nice finished look.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...