Frame stiffening

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
lavron
Site Admin

Frame stiffening

Post by lavron »

Not sure this is the correct area to post this or the bodyshop would have been more appropriate, but I am doing it here anyway :?

I have seen where some of you have put convertible inner rockers on hardtops for frame stiffness, not sure I have seen anyone do a sedan but I would think the concept would be the same.

Do you think it helps? And I was wondering about adding the seat platform as well from a convertible for the same reason, or constructing something similar (not sure if you can buy repops of that part)?

I was really wanting to avoid subframe connectors that protrude into the cabin or hang down too low below the car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

fryedaddy

Re: Frame stiffening

Post by fryedaddy »

i just put on my crites frame connectors.you have to lay on the ground to see them. my exhaust hangs lower than they do.you can not see them from the side.they are tucked away very well ,i think.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:Not sure this is the correct area to post this or the bodyshop would have been more appropriate, but I am doing it here anyway :?

I have seen where some of you have put convertible inner rockers on hardtops for frame stiffness, not sure I have seen anyone do a sedan but I would think the concept would be the same.

Do you think it helps? And I was wondering about adding the seat platform as well from a convertible for the same reason, or constructing something similar (not sure if you can buy repops of that part)?

I was really wanting to avoid subframe connectors that protrude into the cabin or hang down too low below the car.

See Ya,
Mike
I would think concept would be the same and also think it would help. Only issue I see is the inner rockers would connect to the frame rails thru the torque box's so I would think some kind of reinforcement/ modification of torque box's would be needed to get the full benefit of the inner rockers. On verts they keep the door openings correct for opening /closing doors and floors from buckling with top down. To get added performance as a sub frame connector I would think the torque box's would need to be stronger too.
I built my own thru floor connectors, nothing hangs under car but they do stick up thru the floor in the rear passenger floor board.
Another thing I did to my Comet for stiffness was stitch welded EVERY seam. Which can all be covered with seam sealer or as I used panel adhesive.
Also feel the seat platform would help some with stiffness.

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:To get added performance as a sub frame connector I would think the torque box's would need to be stronger too.
Well my front torque boxes have to be rebuilt anyway, that certainly would give opportunity to strengthen them, can't say for my rear ones but I think they are ok, a supplementary bracing might be in order if I don't have mess with those.

My other rust "opportunity" is the trunk and I think I will build new frame rails that are moved in slightly, maybe as far as the edge of the gas tank so I can tuck in some wider rear tires, I was hoping to fit 255-50-17 on the rear and using a triangulated 4-link on the rear and not have to cut axle down any if I get the correct offset wheels.

Well that is pie in the sky for now, might change my mind tomorrow but those are my current plans.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

crites frame connectors weld to the bottom of the seat platform too.they also sell a kit to move your rear leaf springs in 6 inches for bigger tires
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute