351 Windsor stroker

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
pugs65

351 Windsor stroker

Post by pugs65 »

Ok guys. Fixin to get a 95 model 351 Windsor with a roller cam. Thinking of making a stroker motor. Going to be a street use engine with an occasional trip down the strip. I am hard on my motors. I don't baby my car. I drive it hard. Leaning towards a 393 stroker. Any input or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: 351 Windsor stroker

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

You will not be sorry!! I used a 94 block for my 418W,very good,strong engines to build from!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

My brother was researching one for his 'Stang. You can use the stock truck or "football" rods and an off the shelf 302 piston. I'd say it depends on how high you want to twist it. Some aftermarket rods aren't much more than prepping the stock ones and buying ARP bolts!!

A big engine builder guy recommends the RPM forged cranks. The brother isn't planning on spinning past 6500 so he's looking at a cast steel crank, the truck rods, and a set of SpeedPro forged (does have a 150-shot he's planning to keep).

He's staying EFI and wants to do a ported Lightning upper/ lower...probably too small but it'll still run good! I told him a Victor intake and QuickFuel or Holley 830/ 850HP would probably cost less and run better! :mrgreen: :D

Most of them that I've seen are using a 205 or larger head. With the 302 pistons it's easy to build compression; you might need a dish type depending on the combustion chamber size.

You planning on using the Crites headers??

One thing to check when looking the block over:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8 ... 369?page=1
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Thanks guys. Rocket it is a truck block. Going to run a carb set up. What are you talking about stock 302 pistols? The stroker engine is new to me. Do I just buy a crank and use truck rods and stock 302 pistons?
302 roller
4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Pugs;I used a Forged SCAT crank and Rods,Forged KB pistons,reworked Edelbrock Heads,Edelbrock intake and a ProSystems 1050 Holley Dominator.I used a small solid roller cam,spins to 8000+ but makes most of the power at 7200!I built it in 2011,still runs strong,10.20s and 30s,no issues!! ROY.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yea, that's one of the reasons I think you see a lot of the 393's...stock rods and a shelf 302 piston. If you gotta buy it all, why not go for the cubes (408)?!? If you wanna buzz it though I'm with Roy...get all forged stuff... Costs more on the nose but hard to beat 5 years of low 10's with no issues!! :D :) :lol:

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

One thing I'm concerned with is the wrist pin location. A friend of mine has a stroker motor and it smokes a little bit all the time. He was told it's because the rings overlap the wrist pin location. That is what steered me away from a 408.
302 roller
4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I thought (most) stroker piston ring kits like that came with spacers or supports to alleviate that (the areas that overlap the oil rings). Pretty sure Roys is a 408 - hopefully he chimes back in!!

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I had heard that about the rings when I built my 347 and I don't believe anyone would build a piston that way. It doesn't make any sense, but who knows. For what it's worth mine does not smoke at all, I know we're talking about a different animal but thought I'd share anyway. I have seen Roys and it doesn't smoke either, it's a 418

Ant

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

My 418W does not have the ring issue.I use standard size rings,oil ring does not go over the pin hole! I have had 347s with the oil ring over the pin hole,but it used a spacer that went on before the oil ring,never had a smoker,just a lot of broken blocks!! Terrible rod angle,that is one reason I like the stroker 351Ws,much better rod angles!! ROY.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

IMO the most important thing is finding a GOOD machine shop. The KC area has what, 2.5 million people? I can only think of 2, maybe 3 I'd trust to build a performance engine and only one that does a lot of Ford's!! Maybe just me but I've had more bad experiences than good.

Even then, I'd check everything I could myself!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

No doubt;I used to live in So.CA.,you would think there would be A LOT of competent engine shops,NOT!! I used to drive about 70 miles to get to a GOOD shop!!! ROY.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:IMO the most important thing is finding a GOOD machine shop. The KC area has what, 2.5 million people? I can only think of 2, maybe 3 I'd trust to build a performance engine and only one that does a lot of Ford's!! Maybe just me but I've had more bad experiences than good.
We had this conversation already Rocket so I know what you mean. my neighbor is a Mustang guy and has recommended a shop in Clinton so I may check them out when I get ready to have my head done, hoping they are a good place and my 6 head won't scare them :roll:

O'reillys did my head on the car right now (well my whole engine machine work) and said it was the most work they had ever done to a 6 head (and most expensive), but I was young, unmarried and didn't have anything else I wanted to spend my money on so the Comet got it, still hasn't ever been painted, body work or had the front suspension rebuilt (main reason I never really went too fast in it, front end really took to shaking at about 90)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

loman

Post by loman »

Rocket989 wrote:IMO the most important thing is finding a GOOD machine shop. The KC area has what, 2.5 million people? I can only think of 2, maybe 3 I'd trust to build a performance engine and only one that does a lot of Ford's!! Maybe just me but I've had more bad experiences than good.

Even then, I'd check everything I could myself!
Like Rocket said, make sure you use a competent machine shop. I had a buddy who grenaded his 393 a couple years ago. I never found out what failed, but he put a hole through the side of the block.This time since he had to start all over and buy everything new, he went with the 408. He has only ran a few times this year so far. I know it runs in the 11's and he is slowing it down to run in the 12's. He bought a complete stroker kit, AFR heads, new carb, but I don't know the specs of the cam but it doesn't sound to radical. He and his wife both race it at the same time. One runs in one class and comes back to pits, the other jumps in and races the other class. If you want me to get more info from them let me know and I will see what I can find out.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Pugs - What kinda rear and gears do you have in your Comet?