351 Windsor stroker

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
popscomet

Re: 351 Windsor stroker

Post by popscomet »

I saw a 427 sbf in a cobra kit car Friday night that he races ,when he left it was awesome........with the SB ,you get away from the weight
pop/glenda

ants875

Post by ants875 »

-Rudy- wrote:The newer holley xp is supposed to be one of the best out there, but I think QF and some others make good carbs as well.

I've been on the fence on what to build for my comet. I originally wanted to boost a 200, but after hearing them I think they sound a little... unfavorable for my tastes when they are warmed over like that. Stock or mild they sound great.

Wanted to do a 351w, but I'm unsure on the hood clearance and have heard about heat issues which worries me being here in south tx where the avg summer temp is 105+. Looked at some 347s but again hear bad things about the rings. Looking to build something that I can drive around town for a couple of hours on cruise nights and still make some runs down the track with. In light cars like these I don't think a 12 second slip is out of the question with some e/t drags, but who knows.

Thoughts? Mpg isn't a concern, will be building it slowly so a good shortblock won't be out of the budget though I'd like to keep it under $3k if possible, unless the cost of entry is higher.
Under 3k might get you a stock 302!!! Heads are over a grand by themselves for anything worth running. I never even totaled up what my 347 cost and frankly I don't want to know, but I will say I'd never build anything smaller as far as horse power goes. I know you will hear all kinds of stupid stuff on the Internet about what works and what don't but so far my 347 runs great. I know roy broke his fair share but keep in mind his is a full time drag car. As for 351 overheating how may trucks you see on the side of the road overheated??? You get a good rad and their just fine.

Ant

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I with Ant on this. 347's might not be what you want to turn 8 grand every run on a drag car. But for the street my 347 feels plenty healthy for these small cars. It pushed a 77 truck around just fine before that ,& with same radiator & it cooled fine. It's got a bigger than stock,alum 2 row ,1'' flutes. I drove it across Tennessee & back with no cooling trouble. My cam makes power up to 5600,& it has plenty of torque. IMO the stock radiators are too little for anything. no room for error. they are just barely adequate for a stock 6 cyl. You wont find anything that puny on any new cars with V8's. But I can relate with someone if they want to keep it all stock. 347 is about as big as you can go with the 289/302 blocks which will be the easiest V8 to fit & make work. If I went with a winsor motor it would be stroked, it just wouldn't be worth the added work to fit it in the car for 351 c.i. .
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have a 351 w in GLENDA's 1956 ford ............pop
pop/glenda

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

ants875 wrote:
-Rudy- wrote:The newer holley xp is supposed to be one of the best out there, but I think QF and some others make good carbs as well.

I've been on the fence on what to build for my comet. I originally wanted to boost a 200, but after hearing them I think they sound a little... unfavorable for my tastes when they are warmed over like that. Stock or mild they sound great.

Wanted to do a 351w, but I'm unsure on the hood clearance and have heard about heat issues which worries me being here in south tx where the avg summer temp is 105+. Looked at some 347s but again hear bad things about the rings. Looking to build something that I can drive around town for a couple of hours on cruise nights and still make some runs down the track with. In light cars like these I don't think a 12 second slip is out of the question with some e/t drags, but who knows.

Thoughts? Mpg isn't a concern, will be building it slowly so a good shortblock won't be out of the budget though I'd like to keep it under $3k if possible, unless the cost of entry is higher.
Under 3k might get you a stock 302!!! Heads are over a grand by themselves for anything worth running. I never even totaled up what my 347 cost and frankly I don't want to know, but I will say I'd never build anything smaller as far as horse power goes. I know you will hear all kinds of stupid stuff on the Internet about what works and what don't but so far my 347 runs great. I know roy broke his fair share but keep in mind his is a full time drag car. As for 351 overheating how may trucks you see on the side of the road overheated??? You get a good rad and their just fine.

Ant
I meant $3k on the shortblock not the whole engine. :lol:

My dad's '74 hi-boy had a 360 in it and when they bored it out (probably botched it) he started having lots of cooling issues under loads. Was just curious if the same issue would occur in this situation.
poboyjo65 wrote:I with Ant on this. 347's might not be what you want to turn 8 grand every run on a drag car. But for the street my 347 feels plenty healthy for these small cars. It pushed a 77 truck around just fine before that ,& with same radiator & it cooled fine. It's got a bigger than stock,alum 2 row ,1'' flutes. I drove it across Tennessee & back with no cooling trouble. My cam makes power up to 5600,& it has plenty of torque. IMO the stock radiators are too little for anything. no room for error. they are just barely adequate for a stock 6 cyl. You wont find anything that puny on any new cars with V8's. But I can relate with someone if they want to keep it all stock. 347 is about as big as you can go with the 289/302 blocks which will be the easiest V8 to fit & make work. If I went with a winsor motor it would be stroked, it just wouldn't be worth the added work to fit it in the car for 351 c.i. .
popscomet wrote:I have a 351 w in GLENDA's 1956 ford ............pop
I've pretty much all but decided on coil-overs vs. regular coil spring on this car, either way it'll be getting the TCI front end so it'll free up some space. The rack & pinion, disc brakes, 5 lugs, etc. all rolled into one is just too good not to do from how I see it.

At this point I've done a bit more research and come to the conclusion that there's 2 options for me:
-Stay mild with a factory block 302/aod combo and an 8"
-Go for the gusto with a 427W in a dart block with a built aod (or a t-56) and a currie 9"

The price difference on a built transmission vs. non-built aod is not a whole lot since most junkyard trannys will need to be rebuilt either way. Same goes for 8" vs 9" once you start adding trutrac and gears, etc. That brings it down to the engine, which again isn't a real big price difference when it comes to the short block itself, at least when doing things right. I think the final difference will be $5-6k which in the grand scheme of things isn't a whole lot when you're considering the total cost of the build and the difference in performance. The build will be going slowly so it won't sting as much except when buying the initial big ticket things. Going from a 300 crank hp engine to something nearing 550+ is a huge jump and I know after driving lots of cars that even if you aren't beating on it, it's a whole lot more fun to have power and not need it than to need it and not have it. Had a Honda S2000 that was really fun and I loved to drive it, but it was only 240hp at the crank even if it was a light little 2 seater. First time I drove a C6 Corvette, it ruined the S2000 for me because the vette handled just as good and had double the power and gobs of torque. Next time I drove the Honda I felt like I was in my wife's scion going to the grocery store. :cry:

The 427W further complicates things because needing more tire, etc. adds to the to-do-list, but I figure I may as well since I'm starting with a car like this that will be needing paint and body work either way. Don't want to back-half the car because the sheet metal looks pretty good, but I don't think mini-tubbing it to the frame rail and rolling the fender lips is out of the question. It still won't hook for the life of it but I don't think there's a whole lot I can do that will help that on a street tire once I'm at that level.
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:I have a 351 w in GLENDA's 1956 ford ............pop
IT also has edelbrock alumn heads and the edelbrock performer intake and performer cam and lifters,had a edel carb....now has a demon,,,the demon hasn't been on it long e'nuff nor driven to make up my mind if I like it...pop
pop/glenda

five0merc

Post by five0merc »

I am doing a Windsor stroker in mine. Just haven't decided between 408 and 418. Leaning towards the 418 the more reading I am doing. I am going to be doing T-56 and 9". As for suspension I am going to go with Mike Maier set up. Worth a look into if you get a chance. mikemaierinc.com He has some videos on youtube of his cars and suspension.
65 comet caliente 418 windsor/t6/9"

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Hello folks. Got a little update on my 351 Windsor stroker build. A friend of mine deals in mopars. He somehow wound up with some Ford parts. He calls me and offers a sweet deal for a set of Keith Black pistons. I purchased them then start researching to find out what they are. After contacting Keith Black I find out they are for building a 408 stroker. All I need now are the crank and rods. Tech guy says they are designed to use chevy 6" rods. That's the crappy part. The thought of Chevy rods in my Ford. Pop have you got any suggestions, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

PUGS,,go for the chevy rods,,it's your cheaper way out,,,that crankshaft don't care,,pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Pugs,

X2 on what Pop said. Think of it this way. You will be buying aftermarket rods that are not technically GM made, but just happen to have the same dimension as the GM. Ford and GM both had small block V8 in the late 60's, coincidently they both were 302's.

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Time to figure out what cam to run. I feel kinda bad for payin so little for the pistons knowing what they are, but he set the price. Will be even better if I can get him to run one of his mopars against me, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:lol: :lol: be careful what you wish for......good luck on your build......pop
pop/glenda

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

Best bet is to do a custom cam from a someone who know fords I have custom cams in everything I build including my daily driver. no more off the self cams for me.

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

here is a vid of some test and tune at the airport with my 331 from a couple years back. Shifted many times above 7000rpm and have pinned the 8000 tach a couple times pulling burnouts with out a rev limiter.
Roger

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

StPro

Post by StPro »

tweaked wrote:here is a vid of some test and tune at the airport with my 331 from a couple years back. Shifted many times above 7000rpm and have pinned the 8000 tach a couple times pulling burnouts with out a rev limiter.
Roger

Sorry for breaking topic but I just had to. At 4 sec. into this video I saw a properly placed road sign. They are normally on busy streets where people get pissed when I stop to do my burn out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3AuQTOKjU
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT