Frame building question.......

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
VtComet

Frame building question.......

Post by VtComet »

Hi everyone, its been a while since I have been on here with info on my 60 comet project gasser im building. Last time I was on here was when I was taking out the front end and I had ground down the front section of the frame and boxed it in and plated it with 1/8 flat stock and was to the point of looking for a motor. Well, I found one and it was not what I was looking for which was a sb motor either being a ford or chevy, no, I had to come across something ALOT bigger with a ton of torque and hp, stock. I found a 69 caddy 500ci motor. The specs on the motor are far more then I planned but sounds like it might be alot more fun once I wedge this thing in there, lol. Im now to the point to building a, I guess would call a 3/4 frame with 2x3 box tubing because the front is already boxed in and I think ready to go, so from there I plan on building one to the rear of the car and im thinking of going with a 4 link. So back to the front part as you can see in the pics, I need to build torque boxes of some sort and some cross bracing. I am VERY hesitant on doing this because im not sure what im doing, but I have been doing some research. I came up with the idea of putting in the front piece from the 2x3 outwards to the inner rocker. I plan on getting some 1/8 X 6 flat stock to go from the front of the inner rocker to the rear for extra support. The inner and outter rockers are very solid but would like to just stiffen it up a little more. Also, im going to go up the floor pan to the fire wall about 6in with the plate as well for extra in the front part. Like I said, im not really sure what im doing so if anyone wants to chime in with suggestions, please feel free to do so. So, from the front outside corner of the front brace where it meets the inner rocker, im going to put in another brace at an angle towards the other side of the car, kinda building a X frame kinda deal. Anyways, if anybody has anything, let er rip tater chip. Thanks

JUST TRIED TO POST PICS AND IT SAID QUOTA IS FILLED UP SO I GUESS I CANT SHOW YOU WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT BUT I HOPE YOU CAN GET WHAT IM SAYING. SORRY

Rocket989

Re: Frame building question.......

Post by Rocket989 »

You have to use an image hosting service like PhotoBucket or Imgur, etc. to post pics. Hard to visualize what ya mean & hard to picture a Caddy motor in a Comet...! :shock: :shock: :P
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

StPro

Post by StPro »

Are you building this as a race car or a street car?
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

VtComet

Post by VtComet »

The car is being built for the street just to screw around with, no plans for the track. Here is a link to some pics that im trying to talk about, and with the caddy motor just sitting in for a minor test fit. http://s216.photobucket.com/user/jdinvt ... wap&page=1

I also plan on putting in a 6 or 8 point cage for strength as well. Just in case, I added a pic with the metal drawn out with a color chart at the top to maybe get a better idea on what and where im talking about to weld which metal and where.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AS far as the gasser part,OL POP is all for you !! but in your engine choice ,that SUCKS!! you may not get many followers , you just lost one right here,but I still wish you luck on your build ,,it needs to be POWERED BY FORD !!....take care !! OL POP
pop/glenda

VtComet

Post by VtComet »

Really? A goodbye ......... :( :( :( And WHO says it HAS to be a ford?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

VtComet wrote:Really? A goodbye ......... :( :( :( And WHO says it HAS to be a ford?
your on a FORD MERCURY FORUM !!...YOU MAKE IT ANYTHING YOU WANT TO,your building it...I just don't think you'll get much interest from the die hard FORD FANS on here other then the fact your using a COMET,but with a GM engine for power,,I would not look for very many ATA-BOY'S...jmo..but OL POP still wish's you good luck on your build..........POP
pop/glenda

VtComet

Post by VtComet »

Alrighty then. Thanks guys, guess im outta here.

StPro

Post by StPro »

Use caution on the over building full length 1/8"X 6"inner rockers are overkill. 16 ga would be fine for rockers with 1/8" x 6x6 mounting plates
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT