Roy's Ride,,The California Caliente!

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Roy's Ride,,The California Caliente!

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

John;as far as I know that was the only non-metallic light blue in 65.I have two color charts,one calls it Tiffany Blue and one calls it Robin Egg Blue,I just call it Light Blue!!!! I have only seen one other Caliente Hardtop out here in CA.,but I have seen a couple others in my travels,a couple of hardtops,a 2 door sedan and a convertible,not very many though!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks Roy, my left door is not orig. so I didnt know. its light blue in the Trunk & stuff but looked lighter than yours, guess its not sprayed on very thick in those places. its an A - code with 3 on tree. with the door tag gone, any way to tell if its orig. motor? tag on intake is 289 65 5
4-m n 573-J casting # C5AE-6515-E
date cast 4L4 vin.5H23A561316
seems to be date correct doesn't it? Thanks Roy for all your help. I really appreciate it very much.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;my Comet was repainted in 1976 as a test,for free! It is a little more blue than original,I think the original had more grey in it.Those numbers sound correct for your car,my Comet was originally a 289,2 barrel,three speed,your basic V-8 Caliente,it did have dealer installed air conditioning though!!I was at Carlisle,PA. back in 2004 at the All Ford show,there was my car exactly,except for Cyclone hub caps,1400 original miles,NOT FOR SALE!!!!! ROY.

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Roy, I remember that exact car. It was absolutely beautiful! If i remember correctly, the guy i spoke to made it sound like he had just recently picked it up, but deffinately wasn't for sale. That exact car is the one that turned me on to the Robins Egg Blue color. There is a fellow local to me here that drag races a blue 65. Very clean! Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
1964 Fairlane 2 door sedan T-Bolt Clone
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Mark;I think I have seen pictures of that Comet.Some guys I know live and race some N/SS Fords and Mercs back in PA.! ROY.

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Roy, The particular car i'm talking about is real clean. It has some type of "COMET" lettering on the doors. He did a nice job under the rear with a spring relocation. Sweet ride! Mark
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Roy,

Amazing times your running!! I know i'm a little slow on this, but I am new here so i have an excuse right. Did you get the new motor in it? In another post you said you made it up to BC how'd it run there? what's your best time?

Ant

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Ant;sorry I didn't see this earlier.Yes,I had the 418W in,I've had it running since late last year[around Sept.2011].The Comet ran well,had issues with the track,left lane was slick,right lane had a bad right hook going.On my second run,first time in right lane,it went 10.33 at 129,had to steer it off the wall,that is its quickest and fastest pass,10.34 at 128 best before.On my second pass Sunday the 3-4 shift arm on the trans broke as I shifted into third gear,game over!! ROY.

ants875

Post by ants875 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Ant;sorry I didn't see this earlier.Yes,I had the 418W in,I've had it running since late last year[around Sept.2011].The Comet ran well,had issues with the track,left lane was slick,right lane had a bad right hook going.On my second run,first time in right lane,it went 10.33 at 129,had to steer it off the wall,that is its quickest and fastest pass,10.34 at 128 best before.On my second pass Sunday the 3-4 shift arm on the trans broke as I shifted into third gear,game over!! ROY.
Roy

No big deal on not getting back sooner, that is one fast car I've seen some of the pics on here and can't wait to see it in person!!

Ant

STROKED

Post by STROKED »

ROY, WE GOT A BET GOING ON YER CAR. IS THAT THING A V8 OR A STRAIGHT SHIFT? WE THINK THE WAY IT'S REARED-UP, YOU MIGHT HAVE A LOAD OF SHINE IN THE TRUNK! , STROKED :lol: :lol:
Stroked
"Alabama Fan That Bleeds Ford Blue"
http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h380/rsbaker/
http://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h38 ... %20Bronco/
64 Comet BFX Tribute
66 AC Cobra Webers
73 Bronco

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Stroked;only race fuel in the trunk!!!! It won't be doing any wheelstands for a while,engine and trans are out,engine broke the block[luckily everything else is OK],new block getting machined! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
Did you switch to an aftermarket block or stay with a stock Ford block. What was done to the Edelbrock heads you ran on your 358" motor?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;I used a stock Ford block,machinist said they are a good solid block,only need a main stud girdle or splayed four bolt mains[center three]to make them better.The block broke where the #1 cylinder sleeve was installed,said it may have been a flaw in the bore,plus the bottoms of the cylinders had been hacked by the previous owner for stroker clearance[should NOT have used that block].They recommend an aftermarket block with the smaller main bearing size[351C] for engines with power adders. My combo makes it 418",4.030 bore X 4.100 stroke,6.200 rod with a flat piston zero decked.The heads are Edelbrock Victors with just a clean up and good valve job and springs. ROY.

383MERC

Post by 383MERC »

Roy-Your making my mouth water!
1963 Comet S-22 Drag Car
2007 Shelby GT
1989 LX 5.0 Convertible

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

Dang Roy!

When did you pop the block? Hope you get it back together soon..
'63 Comet Hardtop