drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
juddp39532

drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Post by juddp39532 »

I finally got the Comet to run long enough to check the time after mods I did, It was way better than I was hoping for.
:mrgreen: I ran a 12.35 1/4 on the first run and backed it with a 12.14 pulling the front wheels in first and second. The best previous time was 12.62. I changed valve springs to a Comp Cams dual spring, had the header flanges port matched and reinstalled the ram air that had been removed. :D
I need to change the 4.56 gear to a 4.30 or 4.11, I'm still over running my cam on the top end. I'm now thinking a 4.30 might put me in the 12.00 area.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Judd;great news!! Do you still need the ignition switch? I got busy and have not got up in the storage to dig out my spare.Let me know,ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
Yes I need the switch. My dash is covered over with toggle switches for every thing I want to remove the cover and add the original switches in the lower dash and just have the gauges in a metal plate over the center area. I need the brackets ring and electric plug as everythring was removed by the previous owner.
How is everything out there. The weather can't make up it's mind here, not to hot after the sun went down at the track Friday but a scorcher durring the day while I was raising the ladder bars and changing to slicks.
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Judd;great news!! Do you still need the ignition switch? I got busy and have not got up in the storage to dig out my spare.Let me know,ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;I will look for the parts tomorrow[Monday].I just got my car back together about a month ago.I broke the trans at the March Meet and it took Liberty about three months to get it back.I bought a used,earlier version of my trans as a backup,the guy switched to a different type of 4-speed and could not use his Liberty-Toploader as a backup,soooo, for once I was in the right place at the right time!I have a race this weekend,Sat.qualifying,Sun.Race,should be 90's+,OH WELL!!!Both of the 1/4 mile tracks we have left are in the desert,I guess we are lucky to still have them!!Both tracks are a couple hours from me,one is Famoso in Bakersfield and the other is in Fontana on the grounds of California Speedway. ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
I just had a guy from another list say he was sending me a switch so I may have one already.

It was 90+ here friday with what seemed like 175% humidity. I'm running a 6cylinder Mustang T-5 that is my backup. The Z-spec Ford motor sport T-5 I bought can't seem to make 3 runs with out breaking something in the shift system.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Nice times. You may want to upgrade that z spec T5 with an Astroperformance kit. They are awesome. I put one in my 347 powered 66 Mustang and have not had any problems since.

http://www.astroperformance.com/advance ... 1&x=40&y=6
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;I will dig it out anyway,just let me know.You keep whipping on that mule and you will get it into the 11's yet!!! ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;I found the switch and pigtail,but no keys.Let me know. ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
The switch from my other source arrive today. Thanks for the help!!!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Judd;I found the switch and pigtail,but no keys.Let me know. ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;glad to hear you got the switch,I need to find the key now that I know where my switch was!! ROY

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well I finished the new dash and like the set up much better, took the 4.57 locker out to change to 4.30 ratio and found about a 1' section of the rear pinion bearing support in the botom of the housin and cracks in the locker behind the spline the axle goes in.
I installed the 4.11 4 pinion track lock center section and the car is more inerstate friendly now but at the track the tracklock would either bog or spin one wheel with the slicks on ( works posi fine with the street tires) and the best time I could get was 12.44 1/4 mile spinning in first gear. I think it would be close to the 4.57 ratio if it had the locker on it so I guess its time for an "N" case, some 4.30 gears and locker repairs.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

juddp39532 wrote:Well I finished the new dash and like the set up much better,
How about some pictures!
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Boss/Cyclone
Here it is so far, I have a lot of electrical work and I need to figure out like what to do about the turn signals. The signals are electronic deal for motorcycle and I'm thinking about converting them back on the columb with the housings I saved from a parts car I sold.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Boss/Cyclone
Thanks for the link I had talked to them and was planning to use their shift parts, looks like about $140 to fix the weak link in the shift linkage I have the trans apart an it looks like the syncro ring is some kind of soft pot metal and the local rear end shop said the stock regular t5 has tougher part. I got laid off Friday so race car parts will have to wait till I get back to work :cry: On a good note I reworked the crankcase vent system to what a 66 would have had from the factory an my oil blowing problem is cured WAHOO!
Boss/Cyclone wrote:Nice times. You may want to upgrade that z spec T5 with an Astroperformance kit. They are awesome. I put one in my 347 powered 66 Mustang and have not had any problems since.

http://www.astroperformance.com/advance ... 1&x=40&y=6

Al2006

Post by Al2006 »

Good picture. Do you have a T5 in the car now? I bought mine with a T5 already in it, but the guy put an S-10 tail housing to move the shifter forward. I have read other guys stating that this is a necessity for the 64. I have to finish the install. I ran the clutch cable, welded a trany mount and had to modify a shifter handle by cutting and welding to bend it back so that fifth gear could be hit without knuckles in the dash. I'm also glad that you took a picture at that angle. I've been going nuts trying to figure out where a strange piece of trim goes. Now I see it is below the dash pad. I'm going to try stretching some new vinyl over the old pad. That trim will help with hiding it.Thanks.