drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: drag strip test and tune with new Comet set up

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Judd;like I said before,you strengthen one piece then you find the next weak link!!! Too bad you are so far away,I have a world class T5 out of a 5.0GT.You can have it but shipping will be around $100!!!! I got my Comet running like a champ only to break another block!!!! I guess those stock blocks don't like making close to 600HP!!!! I'm going to try one more stock block only this time it is getting Hard Blok in it,poured one side yesterday[Friday],going to pour the other tomorrow,then off to the machine shop. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
The worst part is when I get everything beefed up to run without breaking I'll probably be stupid and put a stroker short block in it so I can start breaking stuff again! LOL. I did the block breaking thing with the 302 in the car when I bought it.
The 302 Boss block isn't an option ? The dirt track guys here use Dart blocks to stop the 351's from breaking down the middle.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Judd;like I said before,you strengthen one piece then you find the next weak link!!! Too bad you are so far away,I have a world class T5 out of a 5.0GT.You can have it but shipping will be around $100!!!! I got my Comet running like a champ only to break another block!!!! I guess those stock blocks don't like making close to 600HP!!!! I'm going to try one more stock block only this time it is getting Hard Blok in it,poured one side yesterday[Friday],going to pour the other tomorrow,then off to the machine shop. ROY.
Attachments
CBmotor2.JPG
CBmotor2.JPG (60.01 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
CBmotor1.JPG
CBmotor1.JPG (71.06 KiB) Viewed 3472 times

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;all the aftermarket blocks are set up for one piece rear seals,my crankshaft is for a two piece.I keep splitting the cylinder walls,have not split the block down the center[YET],I use a heavy stud girdle on the mains.Alot of people say the main gordle is a joke,but I have yet to have any crank or bearing issues in over 15 years of 7000+ rpm blasts!! ROY.

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Wow Roy, splitting cylinder walls ouch. Your making alot more horsepower than me but the only motor damage I have had is from dropping valves and rockers at 7000 plus shifts(damn cheap stock parts :lol: ). My spare motor bottom end was first built in the late 70's and I was still beating it up 2 years ago but the block has been replaced once . I figure I'm making about 350 to 370 hp with my 331 hope to upgrade the power in another couple years.
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Tweaked;part of the problem on a 347 is the short piston to allow for the longer stroke.It puts alot of pressure on the walls at the bottom of the stroke as the piston rocks over.They obviously work but at the expense of stock blocks,of course 13.8 to 1,7000+RPM and all the other good stuff,probably doesn't help longevity!!! ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Tweaked;stock parts are not always bad.I dropped a valve while using the best parts available,even high dollar stuff breaks.I ran stock cast 289 cranks,reworked stock 289 rods[polished beams and ARP bolts] for many years and NEVER had any problems with them,broke about everything else though!!The old saying"how fast you go depends on how much you are willing to spend",has alot of truth in it!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well the Comet is fighting me! I went to load it on the trailer tuesday and the clutch fork fell out ( don't know if the spring broke or I forgot to put it on) We got to the track wednesday and i thought it sounded like a miss in the staging lanes only ran 12.50's I couldn't stage cause the clutch linkage was hanging right at the grab point so I had 1.20 lights. On the third try it died on the burn out then died again 1/2 way through second gear and I found the MSD box was hot so I cooled it down and tried anouther round burn out went ok but I snapped the drivers side axle when I hit second gear! :evil:
The 60's were a little slower but I gained 2MPH at the top end so it looks like I need to launch higher than 4,000 with this cam. I have a friend who can get Moroso axles at cost so I'll switch from 28 spline Curries to 31 splined Moroso's maybe rifle drilled if it isn't way to high. I plan to move the MSD box in the car or between the grill and core support and find out what the deal is with the clutch linkage. I should have video in 3 to 4 weeks when the cd comes in to Wall Mart.
Oh I found an Edelbrock VictorJR just up the road for $100 so my luck isn't all bad! LOL

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;WTF?!!! Do you mean Mosher axles?Did not know Moroso made axles.You don't need the gun drilled axles,plus I don't think they do 31 splines.4000RPM launch,that is what id rev to leave the garage,6800-YEE HAW!!!!! ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
A lot of black marks in you driveway! :mrgreen: Yes Moser (got moroso in my head for some reason?) Moser lists 31 for Ford,is it just they don't drill the 31's? You think a Tremic t-5 will handle 6800 hole shot even with the G-Force cluster gear support?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Judd;WTF?!!! Do you mean Mosher axles?Did not know Moroso made axles.You don't need the gun drilled axles,plus I don't think they do 31 splines.4000RPM launch,that is what id rev to leave the garage,6800-YEE HAW!!!!! ROY.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;I don't think they drill the 31s mainly because of the diameter of the axle.I don't think your trans would like a 6800RPM launch,I was just kidding you on that!!!! I do launch between 66-6800 RPM though,but I do have an adjustable clutch that slips a little on the hit. ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Well I repaired the Tremec Z T-5 added G Force cluster gear reinforcement plate and forged 3/4 shift fork, then returned to Mustang clutch disc, and added Moser axles ( they look way stronger than the Curries I broke). I went to Cruisin the Coast drags at Gulfport Dragway and we played with timming, launch RPM and shift points. It is running steady 12.18 to 12.21 with a best 60' of 1.66. Didn't break anything and getting air in third gear now MPH from 111 to 113 that's up from 108. I'm looking under the car and seeing a lot of brakets etc. I'm not useing with the strait axle I think I'll try to loose as much weight off car as I can by cutting old suspention mounts etc. off the car. I had a great time finally racing two days in a row with out a break. I think my clutch fork problem is the through out bearing doesn't have the clips for the stock Comet fork so I have a 66 Mistake I mean Mustang :mrgreen: bearing with the clips I will install. I have a line on a 780 double pumper for 60$ to replace the 750 single pumper on it now and we haven't played with the jetting yet.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;NO BREAKAGE,that is a good start!!!! Were your 60' times consistant? ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
The 60's were all over thr place as I was trying different rpm launches to see what worked best. Looks like somewhere in the 3500 to 3800 range and shift at 6000 to 6200 right now.The Tremec t-5 has a closer ratio and a higher first gear, I'm thinking that may be contributing to the slower 60' times. I am shifting to soon from first to second, just before the 60, light I'm told (habit from the old cam) if I shift at higher rpm my time might be better as I'll make the light before I shift.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Judd;are you spinning on launch?What is your pinion angle?Is first gear higher than the old trans?If so you may need a lower rear gear.I'm headed out next weekend for a two day race,qualifying on Sat.,race on Sunday. ROY.

juddp39532

Post by juddp39532 »

Roy
I don't think I'm spinning the slicks as it was boging with the cevlar clutch disc I think the soft clutch is slipping on launch above 3800 RPM or so. I plan on drawing a white line at the valve stem on the slicks to check the next time I'm at the track. I've changed the pinion angle ( this guy said this and this guy said that deal) with no efect, the ladder bar mount makes a big difference with just a small change though. First gear is higher on this trans. I'm not sure if I'll be at the track tomorrow just getting over the flu and my help at the track fell yesterday at work caught his arm in some wires he was working on and and pulled his right rotator cup out of the socket. On the good side he has 3 weeks worth of good drugs but I don't know if I trust him to be at the track with out getting run over the way his luck is running, the company where his wife works was bought out and they eliminated her job this morning.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Judd;are you spinning on launch?What is your pinion angle?Is first gear higher than the old trans?If so you may need a lower rear gear.I'm headed out next weekend for a two day race,qualifying on Sat.,race on Sunday. ROY.