FULL SPOOL

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
fryedaddy

FULL SPOOL

Post by fryedaddy »

i got me a full spool for my 9 inch rear.i might wait till winter to put it in,i have a couple other winter upgrades to do to it also.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

poboyjo65

Re: FULL SPOOL

Post by poboyjo65 »

Wow are you going to convert to a full time race car?
Johno

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

my plan is to be able to trailer it to the track and still keep it tagged so i can drive it a little.
fryedaddy

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Be careful on wet roads. I ran a spool for years, gets sketchy around corners especially on wet roads. But I will say that the Detroit locker replaced the spool with drove me crazy and I now have a torque worm locker that is great for a street car. But if you are just occasionally street driving on nice days and the rest at the track you'll enjoy the spool.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i have only got caught in a rain a couple times in 40 years,i only get it out on nice days.i have never put a spool in anything before,im ready to give it a try.i think i will try launching it when i get it in,see what happens or find out where my alkalies heel is.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i got my axles out,they look good,splines,bearings and all.i also got my center section out and apart and i have my ring gear put on my new spool.i need to knock-press the carrier bearings on my spool and i will be ready to put it back together. the carrier is the heavy duty with the 3/4 bolts instead of 9/16.i was concerned that the passenger side axle might have twisted splines from so many one wheel peels,but it was in better shape than the drivers side axle. i cant wait to try it out.
fryedaddy

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

That is good news on your axle shafts. Next up some burnout videos.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

What Boss said 👆
Motor Safe,
Lee

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i thought of an easy way to torque the ring gear bolts to the spool without putting it in a vice or trying to hold it with a screwdriver,etc. i laid my wheel on its side on the floor and put a axle standing up with the studs in the wheel holes and drop the spool on top of the axle,all the way down on the splines. it ends up about waist high,holds good while tightening bolts without damaging anything
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i got my center section together,axles in.almost ready to try,but it just snowed and its below freezing so maybe one day next week if it warms up. i have 3 things to test at one time. nitrous,spool and parachute. i guess i will launch it, run it through the 1/4 or 1/8 and pull the chute all in one run.first time for all three. i will film it when i do.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i finished up on the spool install.i took it around the block and out the road a few miles.i could feel the resistance when i turned,but it drove great when going straight. i got back home and thought i would double check everything.i had to snug up my center section bolts a little,but it was my fault i did not torque to specs the first time
fryedaddy

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

I ended up twisting 31 spline yukon axles with a spool and a 331 windsor in my 65 wagon and that was on a SEGA legal 7 inch slick.
Went with 33 spline setup and new spool. If your car hooks and you are on slicks with a stick shift you will find the weak link.