Dyno Don's A/FX

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
vicegrip

Dyno Don's A/FX

Post by vicegrip »

Dyno Don's 65 A/FX goes on the block.Super cool,saw it run.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013 ... the-block/

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Dyno Don's A/FX

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Not sure how REAL that Comet is,there has been heated discussions about it's originality on other sites.That Comet was modified[cut up] many times during it's life as a racecar,the last time it was seen it was no more than the quarters,rockers,part of the cowl and a chopped roof,no front subframes,no rear subframes,no floors,etc.!The person that had it "restored" states that it WAS NOT rebodied!! How could anyone bring back what was left into a beautiful car without doing a rebody?The Comet has been For Sale before,I guess we will have to wait and see what happens! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Like Roy said this is a touchy topic to us Comet guys. Many of us, including me, do not believe the 65 up for auction was the real Nicholson car. Here is why. Look at the picture of the car as "found" and then look at the picture of the car back in 1966 after Pete Gates had purchased the car from Nicholson. The front suspension had been gutted and converted to a solid front axle. I will never believe anyone would go through the trouble to put the original suspension back in that beat up old race car they "found". The owners say they had proof it was Nicholson's car but never shared this proof. Anyway it is still a cool car.

As "found" with stock type front suspension.

IN 1966, owned by Pete Gates with straight axle front suspension.

Not to mention the rear quarter wheel opening differences. Also, see the front leafs just below the front bumper? The solid front axle was added during the 65 season.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I was 15 yrs old at the time I saw it,snuk in with some (older guys) by hiding in the trunk.Was supposed to be an exhibition match race but the other guy didn't show.Only made a couple passes.A local guy that was supposed to be a NHRA record holder with a Max Wedge wanted to race him but they declined.I do remember that the craftmanship on the car seemed lacking for such a big name car,lots of hammer work and some rough welding.Roy,I'm sure you're right on this "restoration".That said....I wouldn't mind owning it.Gotta buy some lottery tickets!
P.S.
I'm thinking the car I saw was the altered wheel base straight axle deal shown in the last pic.It was a long time ago!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

No doubt that the finished Comet is BEAUTIFUL!! Original,Restored,I would LOVE to be proved wrong!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Like Roy, I am not totally convinced as to calling it the original Nicholson Comet that has gone through a restoration. How much of the original car is actually still there will always be debatable, but it certainly is beautiful! My personal opinion is that if they took the original shell and added a ton of metal from donor cars, they de-valued it! As a previous owner of the Beswick Comet, I was glued to the TV when it went to the auction block in December 2010. I give Dave Kuntz a lot of credit on that restoration, he put it back to the Beswick paint job, added the cammer and other period correct items, but didn't try to undo much of what the car had been turned into during it's match race days. To me, THAT'S HISTORY! But I'm sure that with documentation, no matter how "original" the "parts" are, it will command a sky high price! I will once again be glued to the TV. :!:
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

This car hits the block this afternoon along with a BFX right after it. TV broadcast on both Velocity and Discovery channels. Interesting to see what they get bid to and if they change hands. Yesterday a very nice '67 Cyclone R-code ( 1 of 17 ) went to a new owner for $47,000, way out of my range, but a steal! :shock:
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices