fuel pressure

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
vicegrip

fuel pressure

Post by vicegrip »

I manage to get to the track once a year,in July when it's 110 deg in the shade.(65 Caliente,BBF) Been running a Carter 120 gph mech pump which doesn't require a regulator.It works great all year(almost) with about 8 lbs of pressure up against Viton needles.Last year I had to get the ego deflating push out of staging due to vapor lock.Sooo I installed a pusher elec pump in combination with the Carter that requires a regulator.It's deadheaded and with a switch,on only when I need it.Have the reg adjusted to 8 lbs.Stays the same,electric on or off.Finally the question...if the pressure is at 8 lbs with my head under the hood,would it still be 8 lbs at 6500 rpm thru the traps,assuming no restrictions or any other problems.I could put a gauge on the cowl but...Thanks!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: fuel pressure

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

You need to have the pump on any time the engine is running,without it running,the mechanical pump is forced to draw fuel through the electric pump.You should not need a regulator as the mechanical pump will only allow 8psi.You should mount a fuel pressure gauge that you can see while making a pass to verify what you pressure is maintaining. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals