Radiator color matter?

Unusual and Unique Performance Mods
RCMike

Radiator color matter?

Post by RCMike »

One of my friends linked me this video, and it is about intercoolers.. But there is no reason it should not apply to a radiator..

If this is true, and I have to admit my mind is kinda blown just seeing this, I can't believe anyone would sell an aluminum radiator or intercooler that is not painted..

http://youtu.be/f1QL9veQaNg
'63 Comet Hardtop

ants875

Re: Radiator color matter?

Post by ants875 »

I'm not buying this at all, look at it this way when ALL the auto manufactures used copper brass radiators they were all painted black once they switched to aluminum radiators NO ONE paints them black. if it helped keep things cooler then they would be painted. the only reason they painted the copper brass was to stop corrosion which aluminum does not have as big a problem with.

MY 2 Cents
Ant

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I'm with ant on this one. Just from rules of light absorption, a non painted aluminum radiator should be cooler than a black one. I know they don't see a ton of light but that partly my thinking on it.
ImageImage

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Interesting theory,who wants to donate their expensive aluminum radiator for a test? ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

The intercooler on the SC tBirds comes black from the factory,,,,,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I have not watched the vid. But back in the old days a flat black painted brass radiator top cooled better than a polished brass top. My mind wants to think paint would slow down heat transfer. But as always technology is always changing and challenging old theories. I'm not painting my aluminum rad as it cools great just the way it is. :mrgreen:
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Roger;I'm with you on painting my Aluminum Radiator.The factory radiator in my 02 F350 is natural colored as in the turbo intercooler,AC Condensor and trans cooler!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Post by comethead »

My old Subaru WRX intercooler was natural aluminum. But that don't say much because we know manufacturers will skip a few non-crucial steps to save some cash.
Besides in the vid they admit that it was only cooler when no ram air cooling effect was present. When there was ram air they both cooled the same. Don't think cars are made to stand still.
The painted radiators and intercoolers would be helpful on stationery industrial equipment I'd think.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Hot,Strong & Black! Or is that the way I like my coffee? I never saw a copper rad get rebuilt or repaired by an old pro that didn't get painted flat black. Aluminum for some reason, is different.

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

I think I have a clue. Alum radiators don't get painted because due to dissimilar metal corrosion the paint would fall off in no time and look like tree bark. Aluminum and steel don't really get along when they get bolted together. Electrolysis and such.

dmeadows

Post by dmeadows »

I'd like to see this theory tested out on an actual pair of radiators.

I wonder if there would be a benefit for those of us who do a lot of parades where heating becomes an issue
1965 Comet Caliente, 289 V8, 4 speed manual
1963 Comet Custom, 260 V8, 2 speed auto