Total Control Products (TCP) Rack and Pinion Steering Unit

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Flintlock

Total Control Products (TCP) Rack and Pinion Steering Unit

Post by Flintlock »

Anybody have any experience using a Total Control Products (TCP) Power Rack and Pinion Steering Unit on a 65 model? I currently have a Unisteer unit installed and it is plum awful and needs to go ( I am now a master at the 3 point turn!). This TCP unit is very expensive and I want to make sure it is as advertised before biting the bullet. Any feedback on this brand, Flaming River, or any other brand is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Flintlock

barrys65cyclone

Re: Total Control Products (TCP) Rack and Pinion Steering Un

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I never had a problem with factory Steering on my 65 Cyclone and its Manual much less work fixing whats broken to complete replacement ??

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I HAVE THE FLAMING RIVER on my cobra kit car,,it's not built yet so havn't tried it,,,but know of a couple street rods that the owners said they are using flaming river and they are happy....I ain't much help but that is what I know.....good luck !!! POP
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

In the street rod world Flaming River is second to Borgsen in quality, the uni steer is looked down upon. Your '65 has a good design manual steering system to begin with why mess with it?
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

As mentioned the stock steering is no longer with the car so that isn't an option. Thanks for the input so far everybody!

Flintlock

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Flintlock wrote:As mentioned the stock steering is no longer with the car so that isn't an option. Thanks for the input so far everybody!

Flintlock
it is still an option, & you most likely still have 65 v8 spindles so all you would need would be the 4 tierod ends, 2 sleeves (which is all mustang) & a centerlink which is 65 comet /falcon specific ,& you could get a 14:1 borgeson PS box. Would make a nice driving car!
a few extra tricks ,(spend another 2-3 hundred) to get more positive caster really helps too.
Johno

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Just to report back. I went ahead and bought this TCP rack and it is awesome. I now have a tight turning radius again (stop to stop) and this thing is built like a beast. Steering is very responsive and just the way I wanted. I put it on a bump steer gauge and it had no bump steer at all just as I had installed it. I guess I got lucky when I guessed at how many spacers to put on at the tie rods....lol The only downside to this unit is the cost and it takes some time to install it correctly but I knew that before I got started. I was able to use my old Unisteer pump so did save some bucks that way. If you are thinking about getting a rack and pinion unit and can afford it this TCP beats Unisteer hands down.

naviondude

Post by naviondude »

How much was the unit you bought?

sandman

Post by sandman »

Flintlock, I was following this post with great interest. Thanks much for your after-install feedback on the Total Control Rack system. I was seriously considering a manual rack for my 64 Cyclone. I have previous experience with TCP and I can say that there product quality is top notch. I have there complete coil over system on the car now. Unfortunately I can't show you a photo, my photo files are too large. I know they are pricey but you have confirmed with whom I will getting in touch with for my next upgrade.

Cheers :)