HED 3 speed rebuild question

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
prattlj

HED 3 speed rebuild question

Post by prattlj »

Am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with and suggestions for rebuilding an HED 3 speed manual from a '64 Falcon. Wondering where I might find a manual / parts breakdown to help me keep do it, and whether this is even a doable project in my garage. I've never torn into a trans before - wondering if this can be an amateur sport or something best left to the pros. The thing appears to be in pretty good shape except for some wear on the low gear, and seems to shift and function properly (don't know for sure because I snagged it from a junked Falcon). Am thinking since I have it on the bench, it seems crazy to not put a $80 rebuild kit and a $50 gear into it and hopefully never have to worry about it. I have my car (62 Comet S-22 170) completely torn apart for restoration - rebuilt the engine, so seems logical to do the same with the transmission. I know it has a couple million parts and must be done in a certain sequence, etc. but it doesn't look all that intimidating at first glance - willing to give it a try, but am also a little gun shy. One concern is a lack of videos on YouTube and I can't find any rebuild manuals or instructions for it - could be the kit will have all the tech data I'd need. Am also wondering if I'll need to get a hydraulic shop press. I guess another option I have it to stop where I am, get a $20 gasket/seal kit and get on with the next project. I'd hate to end up with just a boat anchor - any advise would be appreciated!
Les Pratt
62 Comet S-22
Lynchburg, VA

comethead

Re: HED 3 speed rebuild question

Post by comethead »

Heres a 64 shop manual
http://falconfaq.dyndns.org/display1.ph ... Page=6-001
I believe you can print the pages.

If the manual 3 speed is like the manual 4 speed you can do it in your garage no problem. I rebuilt my 4 speed and the only tool I had to buy was the big snap ring pliers. Other than that standard tools did the job.
Scanning through the manual it looks like you may have the "2.77" trans? Not sure.
But I believe the 65-66 Mustang 6 has the same type trans and that means decent support for parts.
Good luck, and Id say give it a shot!

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

Heres a parts breakdown and parts for your trans
http://www.allstategear.com/ford_mustan ... _parts.htm

I ordered a mainshaft from Allstate Gear and the fit and function were perfect. Still running the trans today.
And their prices are pretty good. If your an Ebay guy they are seller "Gear5th" and sometimes they do sales and free shipping.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Sorry to blow up this thread but more information is better than not enough.
So it seems that the 2.77 is a weak trans and many of the 6 cylinder Mustang guys use the 3.03 3 speed instead using a later 67 Mustang bellhousing to adapt it.
The 3.03 trans is a V8 3 speed similar to the 4 speed Toploader trans...extremely durable and perhaps a little better parts support for the future. Ive seen the parts on ebay for dirt cheap.
This guy asks some conversion questions http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/c ... 945?page=1

Only problem I foresee if you decide on the 3.03 route is the shifter position. Mustangs had the shifter at the back of the trans and Falcon/Comets toward the front.
Good luck.

Joe

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

comethead wrote:So it seems that the 2.77 is a weak trans and many of the 6 cylinder Mustang guys use the 3.03 3 speed instead
I have a 3.03 in my car, I like it, I really can't tell you what bell housing I used except it came from the junkyard (one of many I bought) I am thinking it was out of a Maverick maybe, bolted to my 170 and the 3.03 fine, the only reason I want to change it out is I really need an O.D. (or really want a 5 speed, something like that) I put a Hurst Indy H shifter on mine.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

prattlj

Post by prattlj »

Lots of good info, gents - thanks. Yes, should have mentioned it is a 2.77 and many folks seem to agree with you about a 3.03 being a wise upgrade. Many folks say though that if you go easy on it, the 2.77 is reliable box. One disadvantage is it has no synchro low gear so you have to get used to coming to a complete stop to shift into 1st. Because of this I guess excessive low gear wear is common. If I can keep my wife away from it I ought to be OK - I drive like grandpa anyway, especially in something I have blood and sweat invested into! I reckon I'll go ahead and tear into this thing, what the hell.
Les Pratt
62 Comet S-22
Lynchburg, VA

prattlj

Post by prattlj »

Forgot to say thanks for the shop manual link!
Les Pratt
62 Comet S-22
Lynchburg, VA

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

prattlj wrote:One disadvantage is it has no synchro low gear so you have to get used to coming to a complete stop to shift into 1st
After many years with the 2.77 I can say it is a hassle having the non-synchro 1st, I have actually driven my car more with the 2.77 than the 3.03, I know I would hate to go back, If I remember correctly a quick double clutch going down into first and you get it in while still rolling with out it grinding.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058