Power Steering Conversion

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
MattDoscher

Power Steering Conversion

Post by MattDoscher »

I'm looking to convert my wife's '65 Comet Caliente from manual to power steering. Her Comet has a column shifted automatic C-4, 200 straight 6, and no A/C. Anyone happen to have a complete/mostly complete system off a 200 straight 6 they would be willing to part with? I'm starting from scratch and would need everything (center link, idler arm, power cylinder, control valve, pump w/ brackets, 2-sheave pulleys for crank and water pump).

thanks,
Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

poboyjo65

Re: Power Steering Conversion

Post by poboyjo65 »

You might have better luck by putting that in the ''wanted'' section also. I'll bet some of those parts are scarce, especially the center link. Make sure you get it if you find the rest. Have you considered the borgesen sector or electric power steering? the only real draw back is you would have to switch to a floor shift with either one. The borg is probably the easiest but expensive. the electric PS is much cheaper if you fab it all from junkyard parts & martini shakers :lol: .
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

If you come up dry here try chockostang.com. He has complete systems.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Have you considered the borgesen sector
I have seen the Borgeson systems but I'm not really into shortening the steering column to make it work. I've also seen the Unisteer rack and pinion systems but I'm not interested in an aftermarket steering column to get that one to work.
5H25T582252

comethead

Post by comethead »

I have a complete 65 V8 system but you'd have to change spindles or find sleeves to adapt the V8 stuff to the 6 cylinder parts.

Joe

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I removed the original ford ps system and installed an Electric Power Steering setup which I am very happy with.
Ron

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

If you come up dry here try chockostang.com. He has complete systems.

Joe
Joe, I checked w/ Dan at Chockostang Classic Mustang yesterday and he doesn't have a complete 6cyl system and especially doesn't have the 6cyl centerlink. He asked if I have 4 or 5 lug wheels, so he's still looking into it.
I have a complete 65 V8 system but you'd have to change spindles or find sleeves to adapt the V8 stuff to the 6 cylinder parts.

Joe
I wonder how much of the V8 gear will interchange and fit a 6cyl? I know the PS pump brackets will be different. I just wonder if the control valve, centerlink, power ram would fit underneath? You would think it would. I think it's going to be impossible to find a 6cyl PS centerlink. Looking at my shop manual it looks like the Mustang is slightly more narrow than the Comet so I don't think I could use a Mustang PS centerlink.
I removed the original ford ps system and installed an Electric Power Steering setup which I am very happy with.
Ron, looks nice. Is that the complete electric system? There's nothing underhood or underneath the car you had to do? Are you running stock manual steering gear underneath?
5H25T582252

comethead

Post by comethead »

Matt the V8 parts would physically fit but what would be different sizes are the tie rod studs and holes and possibly the pitman arm.
I have a 6 cylinder PS center link from a 64 Falcon without the control valve (which is reproduced). Not sure if it's different from a 65.

Joe

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I also did the electric assist with Ron's guidance.
Zero changes outside the firewall.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Matt the V8 parts would physically fit but what would be different sizes are the tie rod studs and holes and possibly the pitman arm.
I have a 6 cylinder PS center link from a 64 Falcon without the control valve (which is reproduced). Not sure if it's different from a 65.
Thanks Joe. I'll have to research and see if the centerlink you have is the same as a '65. Knowing my luck it probably won't be. I'm not very interested in using V8 parts and having to switch to V8 spindles, etc. I'd prefer to keep it original 6cyl gear underneath. I know I can get the pump, power ram, control valve, hoses, idler arm, and pulley all reproduced. I think some of the pump mounting brackets will be hard to find and of course the centerlink. I may be interested in your '64 centerlink if I can find out for sure it will work on a '65.
Last edited by MattDoscher on Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5H25T582252

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

I also did the electric assist with Ron's guidance.
Zero changes outside the firewall.
Thanks Fred!
5H25T582252

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

MattDoscher wrote:
Ron, looks nice. Is that the complete electric system? There's nothing underhood or underneath the car you had to do? Are you running stock manual steering gear underneath?
Matt,
What you see in the pic is the electric motor unit and yes that is most of it. The control box and controls are hidden but all there. There is not other parts under the hood except the fuse and power feed from the batt. Even the end of the steering column tube appears to stick out through the firewall as normal.

What you see in this pic is just a short piece of the column tube. It's there to seal between the firewall and steering box. It stops just inside the firewall. I have a sleeve to cover the area between the firewall and steering motor though I don't always keep it in place. You can't see much beyond the steering motor anyway.

The EPS works very well for me and it is very drivable. Fred (Sassy) can also attest to the simplicity of the design.

A link to the site where I installed mine. I was the first to install the setup on our forum so had no best advise on dealing with issues. But I got-er-done.

Mine had ford ps before so yes it already had the 16:1 ps steering. It's not necessary to have the faster steering but it's nice.

Here's the link if you want to read more. I also have more pics.
http://www.tffn.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... &hilit=EPS

Ron

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Thanks Ron!
5H25T582252

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDFs/St ... pgrade.pdf

I believe the centerlinks are different from '64 to '65.
5H25T582252

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

MattDoscher wrote:http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDFs/St ... pgrade.pdf

I believe the centerlinks are different from '64 to '65.
most of that info is about manual v8 parts. I dont see anything in that link about 6cyl ps center links being different from 64 to 65. Which part of the link are you referring to?
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johno