T-5 Questions & Info

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

T-5 Questions & Info

Post by lavron »

When I was at the junkyard the other day I saw, what I believe to be, an S10 T-5 in the transmission heap, I was thinking about trying to see how cheap it is and buying it just to have the tailshaft housing in case I wanted to use it (would have to be cheap cheap) what I was wondering if anyone knew if I could use the case for mockup? I know the input shaft is a non match but I did know if the case was physically the same size as a Ford T-5 and if the bell housing bolts were the same?

I don't know much about S10 stuff except that the gearing sucks, next time I go I will take a ID printout and see if I can find a code on it but I thought it would be nice to gut it and use the empty case if the Ford adapter and bell would bolt too it and then I could mock up stuff like the trans mount and shifter locations etc, I was thinking about using my spare 200 block gutted out (which it is) for the same thing, just something a little lighter to work with.

I figured even if I did not use the tail shaft housing myself someone else might need it on down the road

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

ants875

Re: T-5 Question

Post by ants875 »

I can't remember about the bell housing bolt pattern but I do know the rest of it different, I had called modern driveline about doing the conversion and it's not worth the money your better off buying a new Trans from them that fits the car to start with.

Ant

sgtfixit

Post by sgtfixit »

S10 T5 bell housing bolts are NOT same pattern as the Ford T5, jst the case and tail.

if doing it on the cheap...a WC T5 S10 tail shorter shift shaft (and shift rail) will and can be used with a WC Ford T5. The S10 speedo location/gear took alot of work

If you want to go new/not so cheap...Modern driveline has a Ford WC T5 ($1750) and NEW short shift tail shaft ($650) with proper speedo gear location and attachment ($2750 for one assembled).

I did all of the research and work after finding a 91 Ford WC T5 and a late S10 T5 in a junk yard. If I had to do it again...I would have just budgeted for a new set-up from MD. While the problems were not insurmountable...time and money thrown at them took it's toll on the project, hence the not done yet.

Of course I'm a glutton for punishment so I let wife talk me into putting it behind a 200, so I had to re-engineer the whole thing (adapter plate, 81 clutch, 67 bell, clutch cable, etc.)

Good luck!

Mike
62 Comet 4dr Base...Current PROJECT...wife's car..intalling 200 6cyl and a T-5.
OTHER
2011 Victory Cross Country (M/C) always needs wash and wax
1997 Ford F150 4X4

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

While I am sure the Modern Driveline stuff is top notch it really doesn't fit my budget build and I am looking more at $500 or less setup complete if I can do it.
sgtfixit wrote:Of course I'm a glutton for punishment
That is me for sure.

Looking so much at how a guy can build a nice car without a lot of cash :D

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I did find an answer to this question out on the internet.
From the early 80s through about 1993, GM used a T5 with a Chevy bolt pattern case. After about 1993, GM cars and trucks still used a T5, but the T5 had a FORD pattern case.
And it has a picture so at least I know what I am looking at when I go. The original site if anyone wants to know something about GM T-5s

http://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.co ... -page.html

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Thanks Mike!
All great info about the T5 I can pass on to my son.
NP Dave

sgtfixit

Post by sgtfixit »

Wow...what a find...if you go to the site off that page, there is alot of good DIY info.

Thanx for posting!
62 Comet 4dr Base...Current PROJECT...wife's car..intalling 200 6cyl and a T-5.
OTHER
2011 Victory Cross Country (M/C) always needs wash and wax
1997 Ford F150 4X4

Matty

Post by Matty »

I put an 86 wc t5 in my car and LOVE it! I bought it for 200 and bought a 2nd gear and a rebuild kit for 350. For 550 bucks I am completely pleased thus far despite all the negativity about them. I didn't use the s10 tailshaft and feel it's kind of overrated for the hassle in my situation. Get one!

1962 Mercury Comet S22 302 5.0 T5 Custom: tfs 1 cam & springs, 8.8 31 spline lsd 373 rear, 5 lug disc conversion front and rear, new V8 steering components, Gt40 heads, Performer RPM intake, phenolic spacer, Brawler 650

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Matty wrote:I didn't use the s10 tailshaft
You like the position of the shifter ok, I will have bucket seats so hitting the seat is not an issue just I have not seen any pictures of a Comet or Falcon with the shifter in the rear (mustang) position, or I did not realize it was.

I still need to get my hands on a bell housing to fit my six, I actually think I may have the one that came on the 3.03 that is in the car now but if I do it is in my super secret stash of bell housings at another location and I need to go look, otherwise I left them at the house I sold.

Would love to find an SROD or T4 bell housing that came on some 79-80 Mustangs and Fairmonts because they are a near bolt in (the T4 is and SROD with minor alterations) but I don't think that will ever happen, I have more chance of being struck by lightning probably :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Mike, using a mustang version T5 without doing an s10 conversion will put the shifter right in the middle of the crossmember so that woukld need to be cut out.

If you are looking for an SROD bh I have one. but it is made for the longer shaft for the mustang version SROD. Would be too deep for a T5 with an adapter. You would have to drill and reenforce the bh to bolt the T5 directly to it but it would work. The bh bolts to any 6 bolt smf.

Got to thinking don't know if the T5 uses the same size bearing retainer in front or if it is different than a T5. If it is a different size don't know what the T5 would need to fit.

It's possible it might be better to use a stock bh and the T-5 adapter as that would fit the front bearing retainer and put the trans at the correct length.
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Comechero65 wrote:If you are looking for an SROD bh I have one.
Is it for the small six? Plus I think it has to be the high mount starter but not completely sure on that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Mine is for a smf v8. Sorry.
Ron

anoNY42

Post by anoNY42 »

lavron wrote:
You like the position of the shifter ok, I will have bucket seats so hitting the seat is not an issue just I have not seen any pictures of a Comet or Falcon with the shifter in the rear (mustang) position, or I did not realize it was.
Here is my interior with a Ford Racing T5z, which has the mustang shifter position.

Matty

Post by Matty »

Yes I do love the location, but my setup is probably a little different. I didn't like how far forward the s10 shifter looked from sitting in the car. I already felt like I was on the steering wheel in this car so I wanted everything moved back. All in your preference to your size and arm length. I also opted to cut my shifter at the base and held it exactly where I wanted it with my seat where I wanted and had a friend tack weld the shifter back on. Then I welded it out. I will have to find a pic.

1962 Mercury Comet S22 302 5.0 T5 Custom: tfs 1 cam & springs, 8.8 31 spline lsd 373 rear, 5 lug disc conversion front and rear, new V8 steering components, Gt40 heads, Performer RPM intake, phenolic spacer, Brawler 650

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

anoNY42 wrote:Here is my interior with a Ford Racing T5z, which has the mustang shifter position.
Thanks so much for that anoN, that is what I need to see, the position looks fine too me and I am sure it would be similar in my car as your '65.
Comechero65 wrote:Mike, using a mustang version T5 without doing an s10 conversion will put the shifter right in the middle of the crossmember so that woukld need to be cut out.
I don't think that will be an issue for me, I think I can reposition/replace with some sort of cross member, I believe I have read some that just cut it out without issue but think I would like something there.
Matty wrote:I will have to find a pic.
Would love to see it :P

This place is the greatest, if you have a question or concern someone has usually faced it already and is willing to share their experience, you guys cause me to grow smarter every day :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread