T-5 Questions & Info

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Re: T-5 Questions & Info

Post by lavron »

I am thinking the lever may bolt to the tailshaft housing, I need to get the trans out of the bin and see if it lines up with the holes along the bottom of it. Not sure the purpose but I am sure Ford had a reason :roll:

There is also a flat plate with the backup wire attached too it, not sure where it bolts but really don't need it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Matty

Post by Matty »

Mike did you replace the tailshaft bushing? If you didn't you're probably going to wish you did.

1962 Mercury Comet S22 302 5.0 T5 Custom: tfs 1 cam & springs, 8.8 31 spline lsd 373 rear, 5 lug disc conversion front and rear, new V8 steering components, Gt40 heads, Performer RPM intake, phenolic spacer, Brawler 650

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Matty wrote:Mike did you replace the tailshaft bushing? If you didn't you're probably going to wish you did.
I didn't, oh well I guess I will just hope it will be ok, it looked ok but I don't have a driveshaft yet to check that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SO FAR and maybe we have just been lucky,we've never had to change the rear tailshaft bushing in one of those trannys in these race cars,and they have been used hard for several yrs....not saying it won't jump up and bite you in the butt for not changing yours..pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:not saying it won't jump up and bite you in the butt for not changing yours..pop
Well if it does, it does and I can tell Matty I should have listened to him :wink: All of you guys give great advice and appreciate everyone of you :)

This has to be the greatest mind pool of Comet/Ford guys anywhere bar none, and actually a nice bunch of folks too boot.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I didn't change my tailshaft bushing but I wish I did. Got driveline vibration over 120 km/hr (75mph). Not 100% sure thats the tailshaft bushing, but I strongly suspect it. Don't stress too much, from what I read, it can be changed with the transmission installed. I hope so anyways. But even so, my 2nd gear synchro doesn't work so great, so at some point I may need to drop this transmission. Or have another one on standby.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I think I have a pretty good transmission, I don't think it came out of an old clapped out Mustang but probably a wrecked one, you guys saw the pictures and it looks really good inside to me and the outside is even pretty clean. In my mind a little old lady drove it to church on Sunday and was t-boned on the way home from church by someone rushing to buffet before the rest of the crowd :roll:

I guess that is the bad part of not seeing what the T5 came out.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You're probably right, Mike. I hear the roads are flooded on Sundays with little old ladies driving cars with T-5's to church. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:You're probably right, Mike. I hear the roads are flooded on Sundays with little old ladies driving cars with T-5's to church. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
T5 Mustangs none the less, it was a six cylinder, you know conservative :roll: :wink:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Bet it had Cragers on it, right Pop? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Bet it had Cragers on it, right Pop? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
YEP !! what other whl would be on a GRANDMA'S or a old woman's car ,besides a CRAGER !!. :shock: :wink:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I can't say for sure about the wheels but most likely steel with dog dish caps and the mileage was so low it was the original set of tires.

It will have a better life now because all car parts want to go into Comets because that is the coolest place too be.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

It will have a better life now because all car parts want to go into Comets because that is the coolest place too be.

See Ya,
Mike[/quote]
yheep...that's true as I think more guys are hearing about this FORUM and are looking for COMETS to buy so's they can join and be a legit member.........ol pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

OK I started to make a new post on this but thought I should keep it attached to this one. :P

While I am now contemplating going with a 250-6 instead of the 200-6, it will use the set-up from a SBF mostly to install the T-5, You guys know I already have the transmission which is a 6 cylinder version converted to a V8 style so everything on the front of the transmission looks like a V8, T5. I need to start looking for a Bellhousing and was wondering what vehicle to look for to donate one (car or truck)?

I think the part number is E6ZR-6394-AA, and I think it is a cable clutch bell.

On top of that, has anyone converted to cable or hydraulic clutch and what is the best, cheapest and easiest way? (is there a donor?)

Also what is a good source for a zero balance SBF, 157 tooth flywheel? I have seen external balance (I assume they have bolt on weights) flywheels and I have seen aluminum ones (worth having in a street car?) most aftermarket stuff is pricey and would like to find something a bit cheaper but will figure out something. Can a flywheel have the weight removed (ground) and rebalanced to zero?

Any suggestions or how-tis would be great if they are related to this (like cable clutch install, etc)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I used a mazda miata slave cylinder - Under $25 new. Might be the same part for the whole model history, not sure, but I think I specified about a 2002 model year. 3/4" bore

I used a Wilwood 3/4 master cylinder - I think I paid about $75 CDN for it. Might be able to find something cheaper. I was after a 1986 Toyota Land cruiser master, but I couldn't get one for some reason. They were priced around $25 I think. I believe they have a 3/4" bore as well. I wanted the bores to match between the master and slave so travel was 1:1. No reason you couldn't go with different bores, but the math gets confusing and I like keeping things simple. Pedal travel and feel is bang on.

For a hose I got creative: grease gun hose with compression fittings onto steel line.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"