T-5 Questions & Info

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Comechero65

Re: T-5 Question

Post by Comechero65 »

If AnoNY42s' is a comet, the comet must be alittle longer in which case the T5 with mustang located shifter looks just fine where it is so no S10 conversion needed. I believe the falcons are located a little further back. that looks just fine.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I like AnoNY42-7482647's shifter where it is. the comet / falcon stock shifter location is way too far forward for my taste. & you cant put underdash ac in with one. I moved my seats & shifter back for more leg room & so I dont need to lean forward to grab R,1st or 3rd gear. my shifter is behind the hump brace. it's a long tail toploader from a 70 torino.
Johno

ants875

Post by ants875 »

The t5 in my car ce out of a 94?? It's the longer version of the t5 where the input shaft is longer then the earlier ones. I like the shifter location, I got a hurst stick at a swap meet and it works great. I would not bother with the s 10 conversion

Ant

anoNY42

Post by anoNY42 »

Comechero65 wrote:If AnoNY42s' is a comet, the comet must be alittle longer in which case the T5 with mustang located shifter looks just fine where it is so no S10 conversion needed. I believe the falcons are located a little further back. that looks just fine.
Ron
65 Comet. Just keep in mind that my seats are sitting on the bare floor at the moment. If the car had the original bench, it would probably have minimal clearance in reverse and 2/4 gear. However, the T5z comes with a short throw shifter, so that solves a bit of the clearance issues.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I have an 86 T5 and I wouldn't bother with the S-10 tailshaft. Yes you do need to cut the floor brace, but plenty of people have done it without issue. I made some subframe connectors before I cut the brace, so it would be stronger than original, and haven't noticed any ill effects. Shifter placement is right on the money with bucket seats.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If you have to cut the crossmember it's easy enough to add another cross piece to tie to the support to retain the strength lost by cutting out the piece. I may have some pics of what other have done for the support. And that's without adding subframe connectors.
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone knows.

The '98 V-6 T-5 (lots of abbreviations) has a longer input shaft, I don't see adapters for anything but V8 and 4 cyl. T-5s, nary a mention that a V6 tranny even exist most places I look. If I understand correctly the V6 is just like the earlier GT V8 T-5 except the longer input shaft, so barring finding an adapter I guess I could just get an earlier GT V8 shaft and swap them? Then I would have a T-5 that everyone makes adapters for. If this is the case, anyone know of a good source, besides the JY, I could get a front shaft? Like order it, I can watch eBay as soon as I figure out for sure which shaft I would need, pretty sure it needs to be a WC transmission.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Matty

Post by Matty »

lavron wrote:Just throwing this out there to see if anyone knows.

The '98 V-6 T-5 (lots of abbreviations) has a longer input shaft, I don't see adapters for anything but V8 and 4 cyl. T-5s, nary a mention that a V6 tranny even exist most places I look. If I understand correctly the V6 is just like the earlier GT V8 T-5 except the longer input shaft, so barring finding an adapter I guess I could just get an earlier GT V8 shaft and swap them? Then I would have a T-5 that everyone makes adapters for. If this is the case, anyone know of a good source, besides the JY, I could get a front shaft? Like order it, I can watch eBay as soon as I figure out for sure which shaft I would need, pretty sure it needs to be a WC transmission.

See Ya,
Mike
What's your concern with just buying the correct short shafts t5? Actually finding one? I guess what I am getting at is why go through all that trouble for the v6 t5? There is also the issue of the new t5 not having accommodations for the speedo.

1962 Mercury Comet S22 302 5.0 T5 Custom: tfs 1 cam & springs, 8.8 31 spline lsd 373 rear, 5 lug disc conversion front and rear, new V8 steering components, Gt40 heads, Performer RPM intake, phenolic spacer, Brawler 650

Matty

Post by Matty »

All the Ford t5s had the same bellhousing pattern as far as i know. A v6 is the same just has a different torque rating and gear set. The z spec has a tapered pocket bearing which is partially what makes them so strong. Mine doesn't, its an 86 with a thrust bearing and a 3.35 gear set. I would think it would fine on an i6. Come down this coming weekend and I will show you what kind of a beating a world class t5 can take. Lol

1962 Mercury Comet S22 302 5.0 T5 Custom: tfs 1 cam & springs, 8.8 31 spline lsd 373 rear, 5 lug disc conversion front and rear, new V8 steering components, Gt40 heads, Performer RPM intake, phenolic spacer, Brawler 650

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Matty wrote:There is also the issue of the new t5 not having accommodations for the speedo.
The 98 should still have the speedo gear, last year they did in a V6 I believe from what I read.
Matty wrote: its an 86 with a thrust bearing and a 3.35 gear set.
The V6 is also a 3.35 gear set.
Matty wrote: I guess what I am getting at is why go through all that trouble for the v6 t5?
Price mostly as long as I can find the adapter I need, I will probably contact Modern Driveline after I get all my parts they may have the adapter just not sure what I am looking for yet because I don't have any of the parts with me here yet.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Matty

Post by Matty »

Price?
How do you mean? Are wanting to get a newer one from picknpull? There a several used ones on CL. I would pretty much plan on rebuilding one if you buy a used one. Lol who knows you might get lucky.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Matty wrote:Price?
How do you mean?
I already found one and yes it is used, a new one does not fit in my budget build concept so if I have to do some work on it I will, but hopefully I will get lucky :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

The later V6 T5's had a pretty good torque rating! Doesn't the 200ci use a SBF bell housing? If so, just use the original '94-'98 bell that's a little deeper to accommodate the longer input shaft (assuming the one you're looking at doesn't include the bell). It's actually a boon for V8's since the cable entrance/ mounting ear is clocked lower - helps w/ keeping the cable straight and away from headers!! Not sure that matters on an inline. If you do end up going hydraulic, that's moot anyway!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Doesn't the 200ci use a SBF bell housing?
Sadly no, the last ones from the 80's did or at least 3/4 of the V8 bell and can be adapted (big bell 200s) the 250 uses the SB bell
Rocket989 wrote: since the cable entrance/ mounting ear is clocked lower - helps w/ keeping the cable straight and away from headers!! Not sure that matters on an inline. If you do end up going hydraulic, that's moot anyway!
Really still to see on how I go with a clutch, definitely will go diaphragm PP, but how it is activated I will research more before I decide.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Well crap, yeah, it's the 250 and the "big" 240/ 300's. I shoulda checked, but thought it was the 200 and up!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)