7.25" Equalock...a rare item

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
BJB

7.25" Equalock...a rare item

Post by BJB »

These aren't a strong diff for those pushing high torque and HP but if you are after cruiser status with some originality thrown in well, deep pockets mates...dig deep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1966-1967- ... b2&vxp=mtr
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."

Rocket989

Re: 7.25" Equalock...a rare item

Post by Rocket989 »

The Belville (sic?) spring type diff itself was a dubious (not strong) idea, but man - I think I've only seen like one other 7.25 diff like that. I'll wager a nickel he might have to list it a couple times, but it'll sell!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

BJB

Post by BJB »

Here is a twist. I contacted the gent in Indiana who had sold me a 7.25" Equa-lock a few years ago . When he saw the pictures of the one being advertised he had doubts that it was indeed an Equa-lock. My carrier was fully enclosed yet the one advertised had a large opening which was also how the Australian carriers were designed. I sent an email to the vendor asking if it is an LSD and am yet to receive a response. The diff tag should indicate the type of diff the carrier came out of.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Huh - is there a definitive visual way to tell on the 7.25''s?? Like their bigger brothers where the bolt heads are recessed (or not)... The EquaLock's are interesting for their design. I've read Ford wouldn't sell the HiPo 'Stangs with anything but a DL due to locking/ unlocking of EquaLock as it got over-powered. Nothing like whipping to and fro!! Been there done that in a few cars with worn clutch-type LSD's!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

BJB

Post by BJB »

Rocket989 wrote:Huh - is there a definitive visual way to tell on the 7.25''s?? Like their bigger brothers where the bolt heads are recessed (or not)... The EquaLock's are interesting for their design. I've read Ford wouldn't sell the HiPo 'Stangs with anything but a DL due to locking/ unlocking of EquaLock as it got over-powered. Nothing like whipping to and fro!! Been there done that in a few cars with worn clutch-type LSD's!!
This is the carrier I purchased. it breaks apart for servicing etc...the carrier bolts that secure the rear gears are longer than the normal carrier.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I did not know that detail but sounds like ford did the same with all LS rearends irregardless of the size, recessing the bolt holes for the ring gear mounting.

Reminds me back years ago when I bought a 64 1/2 mustang coupe with the pumpkin in pieces. Reassembled and installed it. Wasn't aware of the 'recessed' bolts so thought it was just a standard diff. It was not totally in pieces so never saw the clutches. Discovered later while moving the car it didn't want to turn without slidding one tire. Clutch pack was still tight at that point. After investigating discovered it had the LS diff which had totally slipped by me.

That rearend now lives in my 65 ranchero (Comechero) with a 3.0 ratio. Just couldn't resist keeping it. The mustang is long gone.
Ron

BJB

Post by BJB »

BJB wrote:Here is a twist. I contacted the gent in Indiana who had sold me a 7.25" Equa-lock a few years ago . When he saw the pictures of the one being advertised he had doubts that it was indeed an Equa-lock. My carrier was fully enclosed yet the one advertised had a large opening which was also how the Australian carriers were designed. I sent an email to the vendor asking if it is an LSD and am yet to receive a response. The diff tag should indicate the type of diff the carrier came out of.
The vendor has ended the auction and is checking to see if the part is indeed an equa-lock.

StPro

Post by StPro »

That looks like an 8" Detroit locker to me. I bought one at a swap meet for $50.00 It was marked as a Mini Spool sold it for $375.00 before I left the swap meet.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

BJB

Post by BJB »

The one I purchased was definitely suited for a 7.25" and it fitted. It suited 24 spline axles. Diff tag was WCY-AA 1965 Locking 7.25 2L.83

BJB

Post by BJB »

Turns out the carrier was not an Equa-lock but most likely an Australian designed Borg Warner 7.25 open carrier. How it got to the US is anyone's guess. Rare in the US so it would seem but hardly worth that money .

BJB

Post by BJB »