Educate Me on Stainless Exhaust

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Educate Me on Stainless Exhaust

Post by lavron »

Looking at stainless exhaust pipe, I think I brought this up before but looking at it a bit more.

Just a reminder that I am running the L6 with a header, dual 2" pipe.

This is how I am thinking about running them; Header (Pacemaker dual out, I have this already) - Band Clamps (because the header has no collector flanges) - Flex Pipe (to help with vibration) - X-Pipe - Then Pipe and mufflers in the rear next to the gas tank.

This is a picture of the parts I am talking about (except pipe and mufflers)

I am thinking of running the pipes together down the passenger side, and then turning them to go over the rear (possibly splitting each side of pumpkin) and then curving out both directions either side of the gas tank into mufflers on each side (I am most likely going to run a shorter Mustang 20 gal tank).

Any one know what I would be looking for in stainless pipe if I ran it? In what kind and where is the best place to get it, I am not sure I would need over 4 to 5 feet of straight before all the bending needed to start happening.

Everything I have pictured above is stainless (not sure of the connector ends of the flex pipe) maybe I don't need stainless but I would like something that will last a long time but maybe aluminized would be fine?

Just trying to start putting this together and planning it out.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Re: Educate Me on Stainless Exhaust

Post by Rocket989 »

I never had much luck with ANY kind of clamps...I haven't tried that many though... :D I think most places like Summit/ Jegs/ Speedway sell stainless tubing and various bends (also kits).

If you're MIG welding the stuff, aluminized is easier since you don't have to change gas or wire. Gotta touch it up though. I'd think it'd last plenty long enough on a non-DD, but stainless will last/ look better longer!! :) :mrgreen: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:I never had much luck with ANY kind of clamps
I would have to do claps or some sort of flange on the end of the headers because they are just like in the picture and I would need the ability to remove them. I have just seen several pictures where they use those band clamps but have no idea if they are any good.

Didn't know if anyone had any experience with the flex pipe as well, again I have seen it installed out on the web, I like the idea of it but I a not sold on it. It is a long time before I need exhaust anyway.

May need to calculate the cost difference between aluminized and stainless and having it installed or attempting it myself. I know if I have it installed I am staying right there when it is done so they will do it how I want.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

I've never been fond of those band clamps, in my experience 1 out of 100 will actually torque evenly enough to get an effective seal.

I'd look into having a machine shop make some matched flanges out of 3/16 plate to tie your collectors in with the pipe. The fewer slip joints you end up with, the better.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I have used band clamps & I really like them. But they were not the flat ones like those, they had a step down . Always had the pipe slipped inside another pipe & stepped band clamp over it,even if it means carrying the pipe to a muffler shop & have them spread the ends for the slip fit. these are like the ones I use;
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye- ... aQoduUIPcQ
I've never heard any leaks on any of mine but I did see some black around one that didn't get tightened all the way down. they don't bugger up the pipe like the old kind. I have them on both ends of the mufflers on 3 vehicles. The first set I had came with some gummy sealant. I like to be able to remove my exhaust without cutting & welding, especially mufflers.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

The stepped ones are likely more effective - gotta be.

Mike - What size are the header collectors?? Maybe easiest just to weld flanges on as noted.

x2 on be able to remove (UNBOLT) exhaust!!!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote: What size are the header collectors??
2"
poboyjo65 wrote:Always had the pipe slipped inside another pipe & stepped band clamp over it,even if it means carrying the pipe to a muffler shop & have them spread the ends for the slip fit.
Might be an idea especially if I decide on the flex section it would be what needs spread, or they may make one that size already.
Rocket989 wrote:Maybe easiest just to weld flanges on as noted.
I will check tomorrow but the issue might be how close the two pipes are together, seems they are pretty close, not sure how those Aussie boys connect them :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

lavron wrote: I will check tomorrow but the issue might be how close the two pipes are together, seems they are pretty close, not sure how those Aussie boys connect them :roll:
It'd be a nice look to make up some rectangular (or oblong) flanges out of ¼" 304 stainless with 2 ports and an annealed copper gasket in between. Everything could be easily disassembled in the future if needed, and still provide a leak-free installation.

StPro

Post by StPro »

I did the exhaust on my Torino in 2 ½ “stainless steel. I used all V band connectors to join the pipe. It is more expensive but it won’t fall apart.
http://www.burnsstainless.com/images/V-Band_Clamp.jpg
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I've used the Walker SS band clamp's from Summit, both stepped and straight. They are excellent. I've hung a 17" muffler off a Ubend header on my buggy and it held. I'm talking about their Mega clamp with 2 bolt's in the strap.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That's where I first encountered the band clamps from a walker exhaust kit from summit. they had the putty sealant in them. but the last place I got them at oreily's without the sealant but seams to seal fine without it. they get really tight without deforming the pipe.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

This a picture of the ends of the header where they connect to the exhaust system, I would say an inch between them and almost straight inline with each other.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I think there's room for a pair of 2 to 2 1/2 collector flanges. Now to see if somebody makes 'em!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:I think there's room for a pair of 2 to 2 1/2 collector flanges. Now to see if somebody makes 'em!!
You could stagger them an inch or so, one longer,one shorter, to be out of each others way.

But looking at the pic of the flex pipe, it looks like a belled end on one end of each of them for a slip fit. cant tell about the xpipe.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I would think the v band clamps would be the best idea though have not tried them. The exhaust on my diesel coach was built with those style clamps and they never leak.
Ron