Educate Me on Stainless Exhaust

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Educate Me on Stainless Exhaust

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:But looking at the pic of the flex pipe, it looks like a belled end on one end of each of them for a slip fit. cant tell about the xpipe.
I found a flex pipe that has a 2"ID on inlet and a 2"OD on the outlet, so it will slip fit both ways properly, the X-Pip, on the other hand, I cannot find except with 2"ID on both ends. can the regular straight pipes be belled enough to slip over the X-Pipe outlet you think? Or maybe enough to butt weld them, I am not sure how bad it would be to slide the pipe inside the X-Pipe and weld it on the outlet or if I would be asking for leaks?

I also found the stepped band clamps for slip fit 2" which I am ok with using on the header connection maybe even on the Flex to X-Pipe joint but would like the rest welded. I have thought about running all the pipe back at least as far as the rear axle (straight pipes) and then taking it and have the rest bent at the muffler shop.

I even wonder about a dual in dual out muffler but haven't looked at them yet and not sure how they would be for performance, and if I could fit one up under the rear passenger seat? I think they would tuck up neater back next to the gas tank however even if they were glass packs.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Do you realize that the fuel tank is mounted of center and that there is more room on one side than the other for your exhaust? Why don't you consider mounting the mufflers under the back seat either side of the driveshaft then running two pipes over the rear end? Once they are over the axle line make one crosss over to the other side then fun two pipes along the fuel tank with both exiting under the bumper on the same side? With a six banger this would look appropriate.
If you do it in S.S. You just have to fabricate it once and it will out last you.
I did this on my '71 GT, two Corvair Turbo mufflers and 2 1/2" pipe all the way from the Hookers to the rear. It looked very good and not like everyone else's dual exhaust.
Just my thoughts.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Here are 2 - 2 1/2 collector flanges:
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g4755

Get 4 of 'em, weld 2 on the headers, the other two on exhaust...

They have 'em in stainless also but there $63 bucks EACH!! :shock: :shock: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Ok so I have been looking at dual mufflers like this;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-Stain ... i0&vxp=mtr

Hard to find ones with 2" inlets and outlets but 2 1/4" are probably fine, pipe can be belled a little on the inlet side if needed and I can run larger pipes on the outlet side of the muffler or bell them as well. I did find flex joints that are 2" ID inlets and 2" OD outlets.

https://www.carid.com/eastern-catalytic ... 80113.html

I have never welded stainless but I could always have a muffler shop do that if it proved too difficult for me.

This is my thoughts currently; Use the Stepped Band clamps to attach to the header with flex slipped over the header pipe, the flex would then slip fit into the X-Pipe, a couple of short SS 2" (or 2.25") pipes into the muffler located approx. under the passenger rear seat. I could then either clamp a couple of turn downs on or run up over the axle with a choice of either splitting them to come out at each side or running them together down one side of the gas tank.

It seems like the most versatile option to put the muffler under the car, if it will fit, and then I could run tailpipes however I wanted or change them around is I wanted without removing anything from the muffler forward.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058