Interesting Leaf Spring Info

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Rocket989

Interesting Leaf Spring Info

Post by Rocket989 »

When I did the leaf springs on the Comet, I expected the a**-end to sit up for awhile. Interestingly enough...it did not. Since I was swapping rears, the perches I used also didn't use the iso-clamp bushing system originally found on our cars. Removing this will often raise the rear of the car (albeit a very small amount).

Well, with the new springs, mine sat pretty much exactly where it had with the original leafs! Not a big deal and better than the sky-jacked look, but since I used the stiffer replacement coils up-front, it was a iittle "nose-up"! Since the alignment and with a little drive time, the nose has settled down and the car sits just about dead-level with the rear slightly higher. This is what I was hoping for - I prefer about a stock ride height without a big front-to-back rake.

I chose the rear leafs since they're OEM application was for a Falcon Wagon/ Ranchero and they're stiffer than the original Comet springs.

Interesting that McVeighs sells them as replacements for our cars without a disclaimer though. BTW - not bashing McVeigh's...they were great to deal with and helped me out with addl. shackle bushings for cost of shipping.

I was curious though on ride height, so here's what I found out:

OEM Comet Replacement Leafs
Industry Part# 66-237
Capacity: 710
Rate: 72
Arch: 10-3/4

Falcon Wagon/ Ranchero Leafs
Industry Part# 42-319
Capacity: 880
Rate: 120
Arch: 7-5/8"

Notice the arch - that's the big difference. All in all, it's not bad having a bit stiffer replacement option that doesn't add ride height! Long as they don't droop much over time! :D :mrgreen: :shock: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Re: Interesting Leaf Spring Info

Post by Jims65cyclone »

The 120 rate springs will deflect 40% less than the 72 rate springs for the same amount of load. So, even though the 72's have a higher arch than the 120's with no load, they flatten out more than the 72's when supporting the car's weight.
Jim

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

When I put new rear leafs in my stock 65 Cyclone I used Eaton Detroit Spring. They sat pretty high so I put several bags of lead shot in the trunk until it sat like I wanted. I left it that way all Winter. After removing the shot it stayed virtually the same and is still the same over 10 years later. I really hate the sag in the ass look on our Comets. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Jim - Yea! Heck, it's a spring, I honestly didn't think about that, just the "free arch".

Brian - I don't like saggy asses OR having them to far up in the air!! :) :lol: :lol: :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

NOW somebody just needs to come out with improved performance shackle bushings for the pre-'65 V8 stuff. Still kicking myself that it didn't occur to me to just make some kinda sleeve for the frame rails and rear eyes and use some 'Stang parts. I did call and get more bushings from McVeigh's which were better (notably a bit stiffer) than the common replacements (which most outfits have listed incorrectly anyway), but some options would be nice!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jh did you see that video the guy took of his shackles during a ride on tffn? after seeing it I have thought of putting solid bushings in the top & leave the rubber on the spring eye. It seemed like all of the movement was at the top of the shackle as he steered back & forth. I already have solid bushings in the front & I didnt notice any added vibrations. I'm sure it has more but I didnt notice it.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I did! That's what made me think (even more) about the shackle bushings!! I thought the '65's used the smaller bushings but if the part # on the leafs is the same, maybe not...

You used solid bushings in the front? That one seems fairly well supported compared to the shackle bushings. I'd imagine you want some deflection, just not a bunch! I thought I read a blurb on a 'Stang forum where OpenTracker recommended a F and R bushing combo for a street car...see if I can find it. Though it was for 'Stangs so same parts probably are not available for our stuff..

If nothing else, I'll scrounge up a rear sway bar and try it out. No larger than 5/8" though and would prefer 1/2".

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

my caltracs use solid bushings. with the 1 1/8 sway bar in front I dont feel any lean at all so I dont even think about a rear swaybar any more. I guess I built this thing pretty stiff. but if my shackles move at all like in that video I think a solid bushing at the top would tightened it up. I really dont want any deflection sideways, which could let the tires rub when I go bigger on them.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Good info JH!
I'm using solid greasable front and shackle bushings from OTR on the Falcon.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Huh..I've spent my share of time in OT's site and must have missed those... Always something!!! :lol: :x :lol: Are they intended for track only? On street cars, I'd think you'd want a little deflection in case you bang a pot hole or something...dunno!!

A sway bar should help minimize lateral movement but probably don't need it especially with stiff/ solid bushings front and rear.

StPro

Post by StPro »

You can use rear spring sliders instead of shackles. I bought a set and I an going to use them with the Caltrac's on my 65 comet The Chrysler set fit the rear split monoleaf spring. No side shift with sliders takes all the bind and twist out
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... ,2151.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... ,5817.html
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

comethead

Post by comethead »

Rocket989 wrote:Huh..I've spent my share of time in OT's site and must have missed those... Always something!!! :lol: :x :lol: Are they intended for track only? On street cars, I'd think you'd want a little deflection in case you bang a pot hole or something...dunno!!

A sway bar should help minimize lateral movement but probably don't need it especially with stiff/ solid bushings front and rear.
JH,
His website has grown quite a bit.
Here they are http://opentrackerracing.com/product/de ... 1965-1973/
I don't think I'd run those on the street. (Btw theyre global west parts).
I have poly front bushings and rubber shackle bushings on the Comet.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

StPro wrote:You can use rear spring sliders instead of shackles. I bought a set and I an going to use them with the Caltrac's on my 65 comet The Chrysler set fit the rear split monoleaf spring. No side shift with sliders takes all the bind and twist out
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... ,5817.html
I'm concidering ordering these heavy duty ones from speedway. But I'm wondering about their bushings fitting my stock 65 spring eyes. I really hate to order without measuring but I also hate to do all that work of taking off a shackle just for a measurement :roll: .
St Pro do you still have your stock leaf springs laying around so you could check fitment for me?
Johno

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

If you want to limit side to side deflection you could use a panhard bar. Or a watts link, but they're harder to understand. :D
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I've considered a panhard bar but StPro mentioned these sliders a long time ago,I've kept them in the back of my mind. Recently I read somewhere that if you have solid leaf spr bushings in front & soft bushings in rear -allowing some movement, that the leafs are like levers, & are trying to rip the front mount from the body.
I think I can make these sliders bolt on with a place to add blocks to raise the car if wanted, maybe to just level the car or grab an inch or 2 if ever needed. I think I can make these bolt on with no under car welding which I've come to hate. also the price is good.

I would just like to know if the bushings that come with the sliders would work with stock 65 leaf springs ,which are an oddball size, different- smaller than falcon & stang. Looking at the Moog 65 comet rubber bushing specs it says 1'' like the speedway sliders, would like StPro to confirm.
Johno