Electric Exhaust Cutouts

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
CometJR

Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Post by CometJR »

Thinking about putting electric exhaust cutouts on my 64 Cyclone. I'm a little rusty on the forum and searched for the topic (cutouts, cutout, cut-out, cut-outs, etc) but came across nothing pertaining to exhaust.

Anyways I've been looking on Summit, Jegs and the good ol' Google search. I've come across more bad reviews than good reviews. Long term they don't seem to hold up. Some of the brands I've looked into so far are Dougs, QTP, and DMH. Obviously there are several more options out there.

If it matters this project may see 2k miles a year and will have 3" exhaust and 550hp.

What are your experiences with electric cutouts? Are they worth it over the nut and bolt style? Looking to hear your thoughts and concerns.

Regards,
CometJR

Rocket989

Re: Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Post by Rocket989 »

Put Dynomax Race Bullets on it and no need for cut-out's! :). Or any lasting relationship with your neighbors...but hey, anyone that doesn't like the sound of a healthy SBF...... :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Not much experience with either but if you're not gonna track it much I'd got with the manual stuff!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No experience but like you I was considering them,but decided not to get them. I heard a few complaints about durability .Then I considered the expense,which I thought was kinda high, & those dollars could be better used on something more useful. but if they were cheap I might have changed my mind. Also the added work of the install & wiring. In the end I decided that since I was building my exhaust that I would take it easy on the installer & just do duel exhaust to start with, then add any x pipes,H pipes or cut outs later if the urge hit. I think the ones like Pop has would be fairly easy,cheaper & with less restriction. they open manually with wing nuts.
:D
Johno

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Hey Johno, back in '13 at the gathering I was under Cosmic either bolting in or unbolting the block-off plates on the cut outs and got left behind while the rest of the guys headed out of town on the cruise. Never caught up to them! Electric sure would have been nice. CometJR, if he has the means :roll: , should put them in first time around! Plus, I know he will have very little ground clearance as I have been under it many times (on a lift) :wink: . I'm leaning towards DMH after searching many other forums, rated very high by many, and a four year warranty. Anybody have any first hand experience?

http://www.dmhperformance.com/ecutout.htm
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

VtComet

Post by VtComet »

Why not try one of these from Jeggs, its cheap and looks like it would work for what your looking for. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/30862/10 ... AsG18P8HAQ

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Vt, after research, those would probably work on Cosmic as it's loud anyway and so wouldn't matter if I had two more exhaust leaks! CometJR's car is going to be a rather hi-tech build, somewhere between a modern pro-street and pro-touring. He hasn't ordered mufflers yet, but will all be 3" stainless when done. We have been listening to videos of exhaust systems and just get more confused. I think he has it down to Flow-tech and Borla, possibly Flowmaster, and each brand has many options.
Take care! Cary

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Cary I'm using the flow tech afterburners.They sound pretty good, most people like their sound. I started off with jegs in house brand turbos they sounded good but they must have busted some internal welds & started rattling so I sent them back & got the afterburners at oreilys. They are a little louder but with tailpipes out the back it a too bad of a drone at cruze. On my trip to Pigeon Forge when I would get to a bridge or a median with those concrete barriers ,hearing the echo off of them I would have to check my mirrors, kept thinking a pack of harley's were passing me! :lol: :lol:
Johno

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks Johno, what size pipe did you run? I was at a live Borla demo at the street machine nationals a year or so ago and liked the tone of their next to loudest. The plan is for sound and heat shield on entire interior floor, so hopefully whatever we end up with, the sound will be behind him. We haven't determined yet if we will be able to get the exhaust over, around or under the quick change with 4-link. Might have to exit out the side in front of tires! If that's the case, we will need to go with quieter mufflers! By the way, I like the sound of a pack of Harleys! :D
Take care, Cary

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Cary I used 2 1/2 pipe. I also got son resonator tips from oreilys . I cant really tell much difference in the car but they look good! :lol: maybe they soften the sound slightly.
Mine was tight over the axle after I narrowed the rearend. I used 3 U bends & some 4' straight pipe from jegs to build my own exhaust. lot of cutting ,fitting & welding but it turned out pretty good.
I'll bet those Borla's are high priced!!!
Johno

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Johno, the Borlas start under $100 and go up to $240 apiece. We are looking at ones for about $160. They all have a very high quality build and finish compared to most brands we have researched. We are also now leaning towards the Y-pipe with a cap and wing nuts, probably purchase the Y through DMH so we can upgrade later to their electric cut-outs if we choose to. That should offset the cost of mufflers! :roll:
take care, Cary

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Cary & JR I found some used ones if you really want to save some bucks!! :lol: :lol:

Imagewindows 7 screen shot
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

At the time it probably seemed like a good idea :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Wow, Great find Johno! I'm sure they would be faster than bolted on covers, and more reliable than electric. :D Since you didn't attach a link to the seller, I could save the shipping costs and try to engineer them myself! :idea: I can weld almost that good, and I probably have gate valves and fittings on hand! :lol: Take care, Cary

StPro

Post by StPro »

I have 2 1/2 " full port ball Valves in stock only $147.00 Each :lol:
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Wonder how those nylon ball seats hold up to exhaust temps. :roll:
Jim