Front coil spring removal help please.

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Rocket989

Re: Front coil spring removal help please.

Post by Rocket989 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Rocket989 wrote:Easiest and safest IMO:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/65-73-Mustang-She ... Ciid%253A1
I've never used that kind but it looks like you would need to unscrew it & unload the tension to get the coil off the car & out of the way????? where as the other kind will come off the car while staying loaded up . seems like a lot more time & trouble ,if the same coils are going back on.
I've used a couple different kinds. I'm not scared of any of them,if common sense is used & you pay attention to the hair on the back of your neck & respect it. I like the one like the autozone one above the best, but I've needed to use the pair of them that goes on the sides of the coil to put in adjustable coil spacers because the other could not be used.
Correct - bolts through the spring perch...does require and extra screw/ unscrew.

I've used all the diff kinds too...even the dreaded external (on Fox 'Stangs...not much other choice!! Chain 'em up and go slow!! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This is like the external ones I used.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-S ... lsrc=aw.ds
I never flinched,no chains either.they had safety pins to hold them on the spring.
Johno

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

I used the Tommy Z style that rocket989 mentioned with thrust bearing and liked how it worked.
Always hated compressing coil springs! I felt more in control!
Use the tool YOU feel safe with!
NP Dave

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Rocket989 wrote:Easiest and safest IMO:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/65-73-Mustang-She ... Ciid%253A1
These do work great! Doesn't even put a scratch on your nicely detailed springs.Tony Branda had plans for a home made compressor in their catalog that works the same as this.
I made one and have used it for years. Makes coil spring compression a pleasure on this type of suspension.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I know this an old thread, but I'm thinking about taking my coils out and cutting them. I remember what a huge pain in the ass it was putting them in and trying to find an "easy" safe way to do it again. I saw the eBay tool, it looks like the way to go but it talks about undoing control arms? isn't there a way to just undo the shock, compress them, and yank em out?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I am sure there are many tools that can be used for this but being that the spring could kill you if it gets away I would use only the best tool available. I have a compresser that I purchased from Snap On years ago that works well and is as safe as possible. It installs inside of the coil and is very heavy duty. I would only concider a tool that fits inside of the coil, the tools that grip the coil from the outside are not safe to use in this application.
This is an example of the tool I have but this one is much less expensive so it might be an off shore part.
https://mobiledistributorsupply.com/270 ... ArTe8P8HAQ
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I'll have to dbl check which tool I ended up using when I put them in. it's in the garage somewhere. I just remember taking the old witb out one's out was super easy because I was removing everything at the same time. Putting the new ones in was the opposite of super easy. Of course now they've settled, and are too high I think.....

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

A/FX wrote:I am sure there are many tools that can be used for this but being that the spring could kill you if it gets away I would use only the best tool available. I have a compresser that I purchased from Snap On years ago that works well and is as safe as possible. It installs inside of the coil and is very heavy duty. I would only concider a tool that fits inside of the coil, the tools that grip the coil from the outside are not safe to use in this application.
This is an example of the tool I have but this one is much less expensive so it might be an off shore part.

I found my spring compressor. it's like this one - https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sps-40 ... gQodvpQAoQ

I don't remember where I got it, but that's what it looks like. it did the job, but man it was a pain. Seems like I tried one like that one you showed, but couldn't get it to do the job for whatever reason.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Rob - You can borrow mine if you decide to do it (including a slightly worn Comet shock top!). :D UCA can stay in (it comes down enough to clear), but you do have to uncompress the spring to get it "out".

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Rocket989 wrote:Rob - You can borrow mine if you decide to do it (including a slightly worn Comet shock top!). :D UCA can stay in (it comes down enough to clear), but you do have to uncompress the spring to get it "out".
I appreciate the offer. I don't mind buying one, just buying the right one, that's the hard part. You got the eBay one Right? It works good and you don't have to undo the control arm?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yup, the one on eBay!! Aside from the crankin' (which is easy enough w/ a b-bar & remember to oil the threads!) it's a piece o cake! :D

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Nice, I like cake!!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

rjones35 wrote:
A/FX wrote:I am sure there are many tools that can be used for this but being that the spring could kill you if it gets away I would use only the best tool available. I have a compresser that I purchased from Snap On years ago that works well and is as safe as possible. It installs inside of the coil and is very heavy duty. I would only concider a tool that fits inside of the coil, the tools that grip the coil from the outside are not safe to use in this application.

I found my spring compressor. it's like this one - https://m.summitracing.com/parts/sps-40 ... gQodvpQAoQ

I don't remember where I got it, but that's what it looks like. it did the job, but man it was a pain. Seems like I tried one like that one you showed, but couldn't get it to do the job for whatever reason.
Like I said, I have used this compresser for many years and have let others use it as late as last week. It is quick, safe and easy to use. I am not sure why you had a problem. Even though I feel this is a great tool I still treat it with respect, when the spring is under compression it is a deadly weapon. A failure of the tool or carelessness could cause severe injury or worse. The latest build of my Comet I will not need the compresser, the car is getting a strut front suspension that eliminates the UCA and the large coil spring.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”