Up in Front

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
JES

Up in Front

Post by JES »

Hello every one. I'm new here and this is the first post.
I have a 67 Comet 202 that I plan to put in a 408w and top loader for some street and track fun.
I am wanting to get the "up in the front" look like Dyno Don had on his car with out using a straight axle. But not wanting to use ultra stiff springs in the front to make it happen either.
I am looking for ideas. I would like it to drive reasonable/ like an old car is ok. Any ideas ? Thanks John

Rocket989

Re: Up in Front

Post by Rocket989 »

Look at the small block w/ AC front coils, or even big block coils...compare the uncompressed height/ rate should help get close. If you're going to run aluminum heads, intake, and maybe carb...that'll knock over 100lbs . off the nose. 'Tween that and the right spring choice it should sit nose high just fine! You can use coil spring spacers - I've never liked 'em over a 1/2" but folks run 'em taller with no problem. :lol: :lol: :D :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome JES, you could always use air springs :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, JES! Like Rocket said, compare uncompressed height and spring rate of various springs that will fit your car. The spring rate is the number of pounds of force (weight) it takes to compress the spring one inch. So the higher the rate, the less they will compress under the weight of the front end of the car, and the higher it will sit. Also, the stiffer the suspension will be. Given you're planning on a 408W, I'd be looking at available options on big-block springs.
Jim

JES

Post by JES »

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. Yes I plan to have aluminum cylinder heads and intake, so yes that will help.
I guess I was thinking more on how to maintain a good upper and lower control arm angle and also keep the front up.
What about upper ball joint spacers, and mods to the lower control arm ? To keep the arms more like stock location.
If keeping it up just by springs and spacers wont this create a very bad bump steer and harsh ride ? Thanks

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

JES wrote:Thanks for the replies and the welcome. Yes I plan to have aluminum cylinder heads and intake, so yes that will help.
I guess I was thinking more on how to maintain a good upper and lower control arm angle and also keep the front up.
What about upper ball joint spacers, and mods to the lower control arm ? To keep the arms more like stock location.
If keeping it up just by springs and spacers wont this create a very bad bump steer and harsh ride ? Thanks
That was the look everybody was after in the late 60's.We used big springs,spacers,ball joint and shock extensions...had an alignment and spring shop that would bend the control arms to get a halfway decent alignment. Change your oil without a jack. Looked good,ride and handling terrible by today's standards. IMO,what you're looking for is not going to happen with OEM type components.There might be aftermarket parts I'm not aware of.
Dyno and the boys thought the jacked up front helped with weight transfer to those old hard slicks. They only worried about going 1/4 mile in a straight line.

JES

Post by JES »

Just so you know, I'm not looking for some crazy high stance. I have seen some straight axle set ups that look so out of proportion that "to me it looks ridiculous" I am not after that.
Two to three inches higher in the front I think will be good.
Does someone have any picture they could share, that would show any of the mods done back in the day ? Thanks

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I met this guy at Pigeon Forge Comet gathering back in june. He didnt have his car there but I got a pic of it from facebook. Maybe lowering the rear will help too.

I think the pic is when his brakes went out driving it to the gathering. He has that ''waiting on a tow truck'' long face. :lol:
Imagephotoupload
Johno

JES

Post by JES »

Nice car. Lowering the back....that's just too low for me. Thanks for the pic though.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Stock suspension will cover a decent range and if you can get a good alignment out of it...that'll tell a lot. If you're not looking for the crazy Gasser look, just nose high...you've got a shot! :D :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)