fuel filter

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
captian_napalm

fuel filter

Post by captian_napalm »

just replaced the fuel filter now the car will not start.the old one was dirty and I cannot put back in.obtw these are inline fuel filters

Santa's Comet

Re: fuel filter

Post by Santa's Comet »

Will it start if you squirt some gas down the carb?
If it does do it again if it dies again then the problem is down stream from the carb.
Good luck, NP Dave

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

started up ok prior. just the filter was dirty

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POUR some gas in the carb !! see if starts up..did you put the in line filter on correct?.....if it was running OK til you changed the filter and that's all you did ....then back up and take another look at what and how you did it,,,,,after pouring gas in the carb and with someone starting it for you ,if it starts and trys to die put your hand over the carb tight and hand choke it and see if it will pick up it's prime and keep runnin......pop
pop/glenda

captian_napalm

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

i got it to run for about 5 minutes..ran like crap though.......i think there might be vapor lock happening also.....and now i need to replace the gaskets on the carb....it puking fuel......and i dont know what model carb....its a 170 with a single barrel.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

and all this happened from just changing out a in line fuel filter,,? how was it running to start with?.....pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

popscomet wrote:and all this happened from just changing out a in line fuel filter,,? how was it running to start with?.....pop
forgot to mention ....if it won't run over 5min's.......that is not long e'nuff for it to form a vapor lock.....it can't get hot enough......check your float and make sure there's nothing in the needle and seat,thus keeping the float from shuttin off the gas,,,,,from what you are saying ,it sounds like maybe it's flooded to death,,,,there fore check and make sure your plugs aren't fouled out,,,and they are still firing,,,,check and make sure your points have not slipped and closed up......if all the above is OK ..then hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it ,,make sure you DO NOT PUMP THE PEDAL..if it happens to start.hold it at a high RPM to clear itself out,for just a few seconds......but ..if it starts and gas is leakin from the carb while runnin ......you got float adjustment to address,more then likely or your in for a carb rebuild.....pop
pop/glenda

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

ran ok before.held pedal to floor to start started with no problems...just curious how hard to change over to hei?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

captian_napalm wrote:ran ok before.held pedal to floor to start started with no problems...just curious how hard to change over to hei?
WHY??,,,,your asking for more problems....fix what you have and get it runnin the very best .....drive it and then start upgradeing.....what about the leaks from the carb? did you fix that ?....does it idle smooth,start right off the bat when you hit the key? if not ,that's what you need to work on 1st,,,make it dependable ...that little motor is when right a jim dandy to own .....may I ask your age and what do you drive everyday,,is this your 1st old ford??? don/t take anything I may say or ask in a negative way,,,it's not meant that way......pop
pop/glenda

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

You got dirt particles in the carb from the filter change. Rebuild or clean that carb out, you'll be fine.

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

well come to find out the carb does need a rebuild.....after 50 plus years I would too. was apain in the arse finding out what carb I got cuz the previous owner removed the tag.it is a holley 1940 made for motorcraft. and in answer to your question pop yes this is my first old FORD..i had a 66 chevy c10 with a 292 that was easier to troubleshoot.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

captian_napalm wrote:well come to find out the carb does need a rebuild.....after 50 plus years I would too. was apain in the arse finding out what carb I got cuz the previous owner removed the tag.it is a holley 1940 made for motorcraft. and in answer to your question pop yes this is my first old FORD..i had a 66 chevy c10 with a 292 that was easier to troubleshoot.
removing that tag does cause some headaches down the line.....I don't see where a leaking carb on a ford or a chevy would be hard to trouble shoot,,,but never the less ,am glad your on the right road,that 6cyl ford is 10 times the engine over that chevy,but of course OL POP always leans toward the FORD...take care and good luck !! POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JUST tad of info,,from 1955 thru 1964 ,FORD,built a 292ci V8 ,was in cars and PU's,I have owned sevral,forget the bore and stroke,but they did have solid lifters,,,some had a 4bbl and some had a 2bbl.....pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:JUST tad of info,,from 1955 thru 1964 ,FORD,built a 292ci V8 ,was in cars and PU's,I have owned sevral,forget the bore and stroke,but they did have solid lifters,,,some had a 4bbl and some had a 2bbl.....pop
I had one of those Pop in a 60 truck, I think, HAd a cross over exhaust pipe up in front of the motor???
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that cross over pipe was also used in cars as well as trucks, for single exhaust..no truck from that time ever came with factory duel exhaust :shock:
pop/glenda