adding larger gauges for 65

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Kingspeedy2

adding larger gauges for 65

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I wanted to upgrade my gauges from the stock idiot gauges to modern carbon fibre look with indices and the comet has 1 1/2 gauges If you want to upgrade your gauges on the 65 bezel to the common 2- 1/16 size .fill the back of the bezel with epoxy or fortified epoxy like JB Weld.You can use simple tools like a grinder,die grinder and burr followed up with a drum sander to get it round and too size.I used a bezel that was beyond repair as a test piece before I attempt the real thing.ImageImageImage
Last edited by Kingspeedy2 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

poboyjo65

Re: adding larger gauges for 65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Did you notice that the outside ring of the gauges ,, the one on the left is smaller & they get bigger to the right?
Johno

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Excellent observation Poboyjo65, I forgot to mention the OD gauges very by approx. 1/8 " going from smallest on the left at 2.275 where the round portion of the bezel meets the base up to 2.405" at the right end. What you don't see in my pics is that I increased the far right one to a ID of 2.285 just to see how big would be possible.The round portion of the bezel was ground down almost flush with the base as I figured the gauge itself would have its own bezel. My car is still so far away from re assembly and gauges are $$$ so unfortunately I don't have a gauge to plunk In there to try.figuring what size I require for GPS speedo fitting is next.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: Yea it's hard to see it by just looking at it. the reason I noticed it I found some old gauge bezels I think from a harley, or maybe they were light bezels,,,anyway they had a visor ,they were plastic chrome & hanging in the garage from an upgrade my bro had done to his bike. one day I though hmmm, I'll see if they fit on the comet dash because I was at the time about to paint it. so I reached in & it fit perfectly on the comet gauges ,the left side,so I got in to have a better look.Then I tried the pair of them on the right side & it was a no go. after starring at the comet bezel ,let down that they didnt fit all of the gauges I figured the reason was that the dash bezel itself gets bigger toward the center & to make it more pleasing to the eye they tried to make it look more symmetrical in relation to the bezel. I never did check but I assumed the ID's were all the same,only the outsides were different.
Johno