Drum pulling to the left

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
CAComet1965

Drum pulling to the left

Post by CAComet1965 »

recently replaced all my wheel cylinders, turned the drums, new rubber hoses front to back, dual master cylinder, and power booster from ABS. adjusted and bled my brakes. Car stops perfectly and after a few days starts to pull to the left. Turns out my brand new wheel cylinder was leaking. In a hurry, I picked up a different brand...same thing, car still pulls left after a few days of driving.

I replace the drivers side wheel cylinder to match the pass side brand....few days, stops beautifully...then begins to pull!

Yeah, I know I should go to disc, but I'm pot committed!

Lip Ripper

Re: Drum pulling to the left

Post by Lip Ripper »

Probably the fluid that leached into the shoes.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

You say you turned the drums, do the shoes have lots of thickness left? Could it be possible that the wheel cylinder has to expand too far during braking, causing leaks out the seal?
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If none of the above is the culprit, It is possible that you have a left side adjuster on the right side, causing the right side to auto adjust itself out of adjustment. I think the original ones were identified by lines on them, the repos are sometimes colored different. One side has a left hand thread & the other has a right hand thread for front & back.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:If none of the above is the culprit, It is possible that you have a left side adjuster on the right side, causing the right side to auto adjust itself out of adjustment. I think the original ones were identified by lines on them, the repos are sometimes colored different. One side has a left hand thread & the other has a right hand thread for front & back.
Dang, Poboy... Click and Clack got nothing on you :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:If none of the above is the culprit, It is possible that you have a left side adjuster on the right side, causing the right side to auto adjust itself out of adjustment. I think the original ones were identified by lines on them, the repos are sometimes colored different. One side has a left hand thread & the other has a right hand thread for front & back.
You lost me with that one Groover. :? :?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MIGHT be the right side not working correctly and the left is having to do it all.....so it pulls to the left
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

You guys should have been surgeons, that's how they talk in the ER and Operating Room
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

albert wrote:You guys should have been surgeons, that's how they talk in the ER and Operating Room
WELL,I did go to night class to be a ear lobe,knee cap and elbow. special ists..and to look into a few eyelids....but then RR called me.....rest is history :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink: :!:
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Groover wrote:
That's Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers, or at least that's what they call themselves. They're two mechanics in Boston that have a radio show on PBS where people call in with their car problems, and they tell them what they think it is. They're hilarious to listen to.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Never heard of em. :? Albert threw me a curve ball too, maybe he means hawkeye & trapper :lol:
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:
Groover wrote:
That's Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers, or at least that's what they call themselves. They're two mechanics in Boston that have a radio show on PBS where people call in with their car problems, and they tell them what they think it is. They're hilarious to listen to.
Jim
Ding, Ding, Ding. Jim for the win. Tom and Ray Magliozzi. Tommy passed away in 2014 and the show is no longer in production. They always had an uncanny knack for pulling little things about a particular year and model car from the deep recesses of memory.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread about pulling brakes... already in progress. :oops:
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CAComet1965

Post by CAComet1965 »

Ok.
I decided to ditch the drum and splurge on discs. (I have a five month baby)
Talked to a dude at O'Reillys (different from the O'Reilly where I had my drums turned). He thinks my drums either or too thin or one is overturned. If that's the case, I'll get a refund and my sanity back.
While I was doing my drum brakes, I purchased a master cylinder and power booster for Wall to Wall Falcon parts. I've had good luck with them (very happy with my rear bumper), but not too stoked on the master cylinder. The booster and master cylinder are booth from ABS in Anaheim. When I went to ABS to pick up my front disk kit, I was a a bit disappointed to find out their falcon/comet powerbooster/master cylinder set up's master cylinder on the showroom floor had a more oem appearance. Ahh well.
On top of that, my comet is an OG powerbooster car. I had to drill holes in the firewall. That's something neither Wall to Wall or ABS has ever encountered.

So I went to install the disk brakes kit today. I specified I needed it for a stock 1965 comet with oem 14 inch rims. The caliber from kit 616 rubs my wheel and is off by an 1/8th of an inch.
My chevy friend says that there's two different type of wheels for disk brakes. For chevy's, sure. But for fords, I've never heard of such a thing. I'm calling ABS tomorrow and asking (with out mentioning I purchased a kit) if kit 616 needs a bigger rim.
Open to any suggestions? A little girl needs her daddy back.