63 Comet Suspension

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
x72COMETx

63 Comet Suspension

Post by x72COMETx »

Hello All

i own a 63 mercury comet 2 door hardtop and was wondering if there is any front suspension upgrades available for these years, would parts from a 72 comet fit as i have a bunch left over from my 72 comet

Thank you

Rocket989

Re: 63 Comet Suspension

Post by Rocket989 »

I don't think much interchanges. You can check Rockauto.com for interchange on upper and lower control arms but I believe they're different (ditto on the steering components). Is this a I6 car or 63.5 V8?

Your best bet would be '65 Steering (ala 64.5-66 'Stang). You can largely use all 'Stang parts except the center link ( and match the springs to your application). That gives you plenty of options from mild to wild for suspension and steering components! :mrgreen: :D :D :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

x72COMETx

Post by x72COMETx »

thanks for the reply Rocket

it was originally a i6 4 lug car but we found a v8 car with 5 lug on it and made the swap, the car now has a 302 in it, unfortunately the 5 lug car was junked before we could grab the steering box and centerlink off of it as there are some differences between 4 lug and 5 lug suspensions

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Do you know what year you grabbed the V8 steering parts from? The 63.5-64 stuff is different than 65 parts. The '65 centerlink is reproduced, the earlier part(s) are not. Are your spindle casting #'s C3xx or C5xx?

NBD on the steering box...all can be made to work. Ratio & shaft length are different between earlier cars and 64-64's and most power steering boxes were a quicker ratio (except for the 63.5-64 V8 boxes that use a 1-1/8" sector shaft. Those can be adapted to the later manual steering stuff with a 67-70 'Stang power steering pitman arm)....the 6-cyl boxes and '65 V8's were all 1" sector.

We can figure out what you've got and go from there!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)