T5 transmission questions

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
ArkansasComet

T5 transmission questions

Post by ArkansasComet »

I was wondering if some of you more knowledgeable folks could help me out with some transmission info. My initial plan for my 1965 202 was to use a C4 with a manual valve body since it was originally an auto car & I don't really want to go through the hassle of converting to a manual transmission. I am planning on using a 331 stroker for the motor. I don't plan on doing any serious racing in the car, I mostly want a fun street car that I may race occasionally. Today I had a coworker tell me he is selling a T5 transmission & it got me thinking. How hard is it to convert a Comet that was originally an automatic to run a T5? Here is a link to the transmission my coworker is selling, is this a good trans & price? https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/6064694027.html

Thanks for any input!

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

redhotcomet

Re: T5 transmission questions

Post by redhotcomet »

I'd say he's a little bit high but not too bad. Be aware that 94 and up had a longer input shaft that the earlier ones. By about 5/8" I believe. I don't think thats much of an issue, but you have to use the correct bellhousing or swap to the early short shaft and use matching bellhousing. There is lots of info out there on t5 swap into classic mustangs, pretty much the same for comets. Its not a hard swap. You'll have to decide what clutch actuation style you want - mechanical/z-bar, hydraulic, or cable. I went hydraulic with an external slave for fitment reasons. Internal slaves/hydraulic throwout bearings are also doable, but if your slave ever fails you have to drop the transmission since it rides on the input shaft. There is a floor brace that will have to be cut where the shifter comes through, and many people have cut it without any structural problems. If you have a bench seat shifter placement might be a problem. To solve that you can swap on a chevy s-10 tail shaft housing. But then you have issues with speedo drive and things. Lots of info out there if you google. I highly recommend the swap though, its one of the best things I've done to my car. Wish I had done it years ago.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Loner

Post by Loner »

Little high on the price for California.About all you can get is pick-n-pull prices out here for them.
Guys run them a lot on the dirt roundy round here. Most hold up some don't. The ones I have run with the stock shifter felt very mushy. Put a after market one on,night and day difference.

Good luck

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Thanks for the detailed info. guys! I'll be in CA next week so I was trying to decide if I should grab this while I'm there. I think I'll pass on it & do more research. I appreciate the responses!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Here's some info that may be useful in your search:
http://www.britishv8.org/articles/borg- ... d-tags.htm
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000 ... /index.php
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =4&t=14391

I'm planning to do the same thing. If you do go through with it, be sure and post EVERYTHING on your build thread...with pics...so I'll know what to do. :D
Jim

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Thanks for the info. Jim! I'll definitely keep you guys updated on what I do in my build thread!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I'm stuffing one in & finally decided on the hydraulic (external slave) clutch route due to header fitment. The '94-'95's actually work better w/ a cable clutch since the fork opening (hence cable) is clocked lower; this allows for better header clearance. As RedHot pointed out, gotta use the right bell.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

albert

Post by albert »

I used the cable clutch setup on my T5 conversion and it has a stiff pedal. Now that I am older and have arthritis in my left leg I wish I had the hydraulic set up which is much easier on the leg. Will probably change this out soon.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Are you guys using an original clutch pedal assembly or is there an aftermarket one that fits?

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

ArkansasComet wrote:Are you guys using an original clutch pedal assembly or is there an aftermarket one that fits?
I used an original pedal assembly. I'm not aware of any aftermarket setup, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Modern Driveline has a kit you can buy, but its a little on the pricey side in my opinion. And a little more complicated than it needs to be.

http://transmission.moderndriveline.com ... 25p522.htm

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I looked for a while for my T-5 until I found what I was looking for, cheap :P

I think most likely you can find a inexpensive one around this part of the country if you end up going that route and a pedal assembly has to be easy enough to find salvage someplace.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I bought one on ebay for $500.00 to replace the one I trashed in my 95 Mustang. Seems to be working fine so far.
tomb's 65

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

I wonder if something like this would work better (and be cheaper) than trying to source an original clutch pedal assembly & converting it to hydraulic? I am not worried about it looking original since my car won't be very original.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... 57508.html

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

That looks like it should work, but you'll probably want a push type slave cylinder, not a pull type.

miley

Post by miley »

can i ask how you connecting clutch cable to the clutch pedal on a 65 comet