63 Rear ride height increase - Leaf Spring Kit / Other

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Moses

63 Rear ride height increase - Leaf Spring Kit / Other

Post by Moses »

Anyone have any experience with rear height modification?

I'll be rebuilding my front end within the next few weeks and going with a Shelby drop. Looking to slightly raise the ride height of the rear to accommodate the biggest drag radials that will fit without doing any body cutting. I'm going for a vintage drag look without getting crazy with it.

Open to narrowing the rear, but wondering if anyone has any experience with a leaf spring kit like the one below, and if there's anything else I need to take into consideration.

*Edit: Going with air shocks alone seems risky*

http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/42-303.htm

Potential example:

rjones35

Re: 63 Rear ride height increase - Leaf Spring Kit / Other

Post by rjones35 »

Don't know about those specifically, but I put stock ones from McVeighs on mine. Sits perfect for me, so I would think if you got springs with an extra leaf maybe, or just heavier than stock, it would raise it some. There are some pics in here - http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=14371

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

You could go with adjustable shackles.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

loman

Post by loman »

Years ago, I bought some cheap helper springs from JC Whitney. The kind that clamp over your shocks. We jokingly called them poor mans coil overs. The rear end on that car always hung a bit low and if I remember correctly it raised it enough to make it sit level.