switching to aod

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
jeff

switching to aod

Post by jeff »

I HAVE A 64 COMET WITH A LATE MODEL 302 BLOCK WITH A 6 BOLT PATTERN C4. IM TIRED OF THE 3 SPEED. I WOULD LIKE TO GO AOD.
WHAT AOD WILL WORK? I THOUGHT I READ SOME AOD'S HAVE A 13 1/2 TAIL SHAFT AND OTHERS HAVE A 10 IN TAIL SHAFT.

poboyjo65

Re: switching to aod

Post by poboyjo65 »

Your trans tunnel will need enlarging to fit an AOD from what I gather.
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Some tunnel mods may be required but not too drastic. The cross member will have to be modded or fabbed up from scratch. Try to find a trans out of an 89 or newer truck...best case and improved oiling. AOD is fairly easy to work on but you do need the seal protector kit. The throttle valve hookup is kind of a pain but once you get it figured out,you will love this swap. IMO,the AOD is one of the better performing transmissions Ford has put out,well suited for the hot rod type of cars,street or strip. Built right,they will handle a lot of power.
Everything you need to know about performance AOD is here...
http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/forum.php

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I just installed a AOD behind a 302 in a 65 and didn't need to expand the tunnel. I'm not sure if the 64 tunnel is the same as a 65. Most long tube headers won't fit without some messaging. They need to be made wider at the end of the header. I took a jack and spread them while they where bolted to the engine. I also refabbed the cross member like vicegripe stated. I'm using a B&M shifter which hooked up easily.
tomb's 65

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I had one installed before I switched to the T5. I didn't modify my tunnel at all, but I don't believe I ever checked pinion angle either. The long tubes I ran required significant modification. Shorties would have been much easier. I don't know much about the different tailshafts, but I assume shorter would fit better.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

As far as the tall shaft goes I took a 87 truck AOD and installed the guts of a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII 4R70W transmission to make it a lot stronger. I used the output shaft of the 4R along with it's tail shaft housing and my drive shaft fit like it was made for it. I had to get a 4R70W yoke to fit the new output shaft and I did replace the 8" rear end with a 8.8" out of 97 explorer. All that being said the drive train fit very well with the pinion angle set right. I was expecting to change the length of the drive shaft, but didn't have too.
tomb's 65

jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks for all the help.. I'm buying aod out of a 1990 mustang this should work???

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Sure. It might be a good idea to freshen it up. Take a look at this for performance mods and increased reliability if you're so inclined.

http://www.clickclickracing.com/tech%20mods1.pdf