63, ladder bars, coil overs.....

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
rjones35

63, ladder bars, coil overs.....

Post by rjones35 »

So I was talking to my buddy, the machinist friend that likes to make things, about new leafspring bushings. He says, hey I can make some caltrac type bars for it, then he says hey why don't you just put coil overs on it and get rid of the leafs, I'll make all the stuff. Seems easy, but what obvious problems will I run into? Have to make a crossmember to mount the front to, bar to mount the shocks to, brackets welded to the housing, seems easy. Thought about mini tubs while I'm at it, but I got to looking and theres only like 1 1/2 - 2" maybe before the tire would hit the frame, not really worth it to me I think.

SASSY

Re: 63, ladder bars, coil overs.....

Post by SASSY »

That is a big undertaking,,,!
Do you understand rear geometery enough to weld the mounts in the right place?
A decent set of coilovers plus securing the correct set of springs= $$
Study up before you start!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Not really, but I've been doing a little reading online, and ice got a chassis builder friend I figure I can get some info out of. Yeah, not looking forward to the $$ part for coil overs and rod ends. Spring rate was another?? I have no idea, other than scaling it to find actual weight of the car, or trial and error, since that seems to be the way I do a lot of things.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Okay, that didn't take long, talked myself out of even messing with it. I'll save that adventure for another time, when it will involve wheel tubs, frame rails , and some other stuff!! Thanks.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Didnt you just put on new leafsprings?
rjones35 wrote:Okay, that didn't take long, talked myself out of even messing with it. I'll save that adventure for another time, when it will involve wheel tubs, frame rails , and some other stuff!! Thanks.
Yea dog might not like you taking the car out of commission for that long! :lol: big job! making cal trac type bars would be good to do, it will get rid of all wheel hop so if you like to play they could save you lots of grief & money. here are some plans that I was going to use to make some but got burnt out on fabbing stuff & bought the real ones. I posted this once & someone said the measurements needed to be altered for our cars, but if you decide to make some I can give you measurements from mine.
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Right on. Thanks!!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yah, since you just replaced the leafs...I'd toss on a set of Caltracs and call it good. They work really well. I'm stuck on Traction Masters 'cause of the old school look but the Caltracs work better! :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Yeah just did new leafs, and to be honest, I really don't need any traction bars or anything, I drive it pretty easy. The whole idea came about, because my friend just likes building stuff.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

rjones35 wrote:Yeah just did new leafs, and to be honest, I really don't need any traction bars or anything, I drive it pretty easy. The whole idea came about, because my friend just likes building stuff.
If he just wants to do something let him build you some to look like the old traction bars, like rockets traction masters. would be simple to make & easy to install, just bolt to the bottom of the u bolts. They would keep with the old school look like JH mentioned & compliment your wheel combo. & come in handy if you ever got that wild hair at a stop light.... :twisted:

The caltracs are more of a pain to install, since you have to take your leafs off & get the front bushing out & put in the solid bushings. It's quite a job,more than you would expect,& worse than just putting on new leaf springs.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

all these traction bars are well and good ,,,,,but what do you do with the car ?? or plan on doing with the car,,,my reason for asking is.........for every pound you add to it is another pound it has to tote .. :shock: :shock: but good luck !! OL POP looks at these cars in a different way then most..maybe that is the reason my comet has traveled so many trouble free miles across many states and has never failed...cause I keep it simple,,,,,and never ever build it so's you can't get a part to fix it at a local parts store on a week end day...........maybe POP's age is showing a bit...but I've been building these old cars for so many yrs,,,POP ain't real smart,,,but look up stupid in a Webster and OL POP's picture won't be there.. :shock: :wink: :lol: :D pop
pop/glenda

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
rjones35 wrote:Yeah just did new leafs, and to be honest, I really don't need any traction bars or anything, I drive it pretty easy. The whole idea came about, because my friend just likes building stuff.
If he just wants to do something let him build you some to look like the old traction bars, like rockets traction masters. would be simple to make & easy to install, just bolt to the bottom of the u bolts. They would keep with the old school look like JH mentioned & compliment your wheel combo. & come in handy if you ever got that wild hair at a stop light.... :twisted:

The caltracs are more of a pain to install, since you have to take your leafs off & get the front bushing out & put in the solid bushings. It's quite a job,more than you would expect,& worse than just putting on new leaf springs.
That's a good idea!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

popscomet wrote:all these traction bars are well and good ,,,,,but what do you do with the car ?? or plan on doing with the car,,,my reason for asking is.........for every pound you add to it is another pound it has to tote .. :shock: :shock: but good luck !! OL POP looks at these cars in a different way then most..maybe that is the reason my comet has traveled so many trouble free miles across many states and has never failed...cause I keep it simple,,,,,and never ever build it so's you can't get a part to fix it at a local parts store on a week end day...........maybe POP's age is showing a bit...but I've been building these old cars for so many yrs,,,POP ain't real smart,,,but look up stupid in a Webster and OL POP's picture won't be there.. :shock: :wink: :lol: :D pop
Simple is definitely the way to go.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

So I've been kinda kicking the idea around for a long time, AND I've listed the car for sale with not much luck, I'm thinking it might be time to tub it. I thought about just relocated the brand new springs!, but then I thought if I'm gonna do it, I'd like to go bigger with the tires. So, it seems like it would be fairly straight forward, but out the old, put in the new. Getting things straight and even seems like it would be tough. Not to mention the cost of stuff. My friend Chris can make the parts I'll need for the most part, but rear end, wheels, tires, coilovers,..... Thought about the trunk lid too, keeping it so it still works like it does. Then of course once the back is done (jumping way ahead) I'll have to lower the front some, cause that'll look funny.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Forgot about stretching the wheel openings. That seems like it would be a pain.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Crites has some of that stuff already...minitub kits with relocating the rear frame rails, ladder bars, etc. At least might help with ideas.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)