Speedometer cable for 63 with 302 & AOD

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
GeneB

Speedometer cable for 63 with 302 & AOD

Post by GeneB »

No working speedometer is driving me nuts. I have my iphone with speed app on seat, but hard to look at going down the road. What do I need to know to order a cable. PO said stock cable was about a foot too short ( cable is still in car). Can't see AOD by just looking under car. Exhaust is in the way.
Don't know any details about the speedometer gears in trans.
Thanks
Gene

Comechero65

Re: Speedometer cable for 63 with 302 & AOD

Post by Comechero65 »

If the speedo cable previously connected to the trans on the drivers side then you should be good for length. Some have an issue with the cable running right where the crossmember is. So they either drill a hole through the crossmember or notch it. Another possibility is get a right angle adapter to route the cable around the crossmember and tailpipe.
Ron

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

The cable was never connected to this trans. It was for the 6 cyl engine and manual trans

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think what I would try is to order a cable for a v8 4sp, which is the longest cable,designed to reach the pass side of a 4sp trans.

look at this driven gear for an aod (which at the bottom says it also fits a C4 , with driverside cables like an aod). I dont think you mentioned what trans use to be in the car ,other than manual, but if it has a cable that is too short it probably wasn't a 4sp.
this gear also looks like it has a longer nose but the rest looks right & should attach to a comet 4sp cable. this is the right style but may not be the right tooth count. just an example but I think this aod long nose style would work on a comet cable.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/speedometer- ... /p/HW1295/
to find out how many teeth you need you will need your differential ratio, tire diameter size & which drive gear the trans has,usually they are color coded & can be seen thru the cable hole with a bright flashlight. there is a formula to figure out which one you'll need. (or use the trial & error method :lol: )

I'm not stating that this info is correct but is what I would try if I were in your shoes.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

GeneB wrote:The cable was never connected to this trans. It was for the 6 cyl engine and manual trans
If the your manual trans has the speedo port on the drivers side then a cable for an auto or 3.03 3 spd which will be on the drivers side would fit.
Only if it were on the pass side whould you need the longer cable for the 4 speed.
Ron

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I just ordered a new one from NAPA and there were 2 options auto 64" or manual 80"
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The auto 64 should do it.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think the best thing to do is measure your old one & order one at least a foot longer.
Johno

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

You guys passed me by. This is the 1st 1960's car I have had since I had a new 61 ford convert. Sold a 31 model A last year. The vin tag on my comet shows it started as a 6cyl eng with manual 3 speed trans. There Is a auto trans selector on the steering column but no collor for the lever.
Are there different ends on the speedo cable for different trans or are they all the same.
When saying 4 speed do you mean manual or automatic trans.
Got to come up to speed on all this.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

GeneB wrote:You guys passed me by. This is the 1st 1960's car I have had since I had a new 61 ford convert. Sold a 31 model A last year. The vin tag on my comet shows it started as a 6cyl eng with manual 3 speed trans. There Is a auto trans selector on the steering column but no collor for the lever.
Are there different ends on the speedo cable for different trans or are they all the same.
When saying 4 speed do you mean manual or automatic trans.
Got to come up to speed on all this.
First thing to do is get the old cable out of car and measure the length. So you can figure out what you already have. Then add 12" to it (if you feel comfortable with the p.o.'s statement it's short 12") to figure out what length you need.

Also once the cable is out see if the transmission end of the cable screws onto the speedo gear adapter on trans....thinking it should but check it to make sure.

After you get a cable that fits then you can see how far off your mph is, if any by comparing it to the mph on you phone app.

And if it is off a lot then you can figure out what speedo gear fix you need. At least you will have more info, like if you mph are too high or low. This could help you narrow down what gear you need if any.

If the two choices are 64" and 80" and your cable is a stock cable then I would think you have the 64" and therefore would need the 80". But these cars are old any many things get changed over the years, so your cable could be from a completely different application and could be like 50".

So you really need to figure how much longer you need and add that to the measurement of what you already have, to figure out the length of the new one.

Lou

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The 64" cable should be a good fit for the AOD. When I installed the SROD in my 65 ranchero the cable i used was 60". Part no. 400320 from Autokrafters. 65 ranchero and the comets should have similar dimensions since they shared the same basic body.
Here's one that fit 60-65 falcon 3 spd and auto. Auto would be the early FM2 then the C4. 60"
http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon- ... 5p6357.htm

If you needed longer though I doubt, 65" mustang/fairlane.
https://www.autokrafters.com/p-80-speed ... rlane.aspx

The speedo fitting on the SROD is on the lower part of the tailhousing near the front. A 3 speed and c4 would be in the same general area on the upper part. The AOD port is maybe a couple inches further back on the upper part. The port on the AOD is almost inline with the crossmember as some have to bore a hole through it or cut a notch. An alternative is to use a 90 deg adapter.
Also ford made i believe a 24" extension cable that was used on some taurus. I may have a part number for that extension. I also have part no. and source for the 90 deg adapter.
Ron

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

When I had the AOD in mine I used the factory 64" cable and it worked ok. I'm currently using the same with the T5. The speedo jumps around a lot so I am going to try the 80" cable. I think it should give me some more freedom in routing so I can make the bends more gradual and hopefully get rid of the jumpiness.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

That's a big jump from 64" to an 80" cable. That's a lot of extra cable to reroute so there will be no hard turns or kinks. Add some graphite lube to the 64" cable and the jumping may stop. I have found sometimes the internal cable that rotates can sometimes be just 1/16 - 1/8" too long which makes for a tight fit and hence the needle will jump. Cutting iff just a little helped.
Ron

Moses

Post by Moses »

Unrelated, but what did it take to mount the AOD in the 63? I've heard that the tunnel has to be enlarged, and what to do about the crossmember?

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Without checking my notes I believe I used the 60" speedo cable in my 65 ranchero which goes to the front of the tailhousing same as a 3 speed ot auto trans. I even had a little extra cable which i had to make bigger loop to keep from kinking it anywhere. Should still fit an AOD which is just a few inches further back. Jumping to an 80" inch is a major jump with a lot of extra you would have to find large area to loop the extra. 60" to 64" is a good length to go with.
Ron