Heat Shrink hose clamps

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Lou's Comet

Heat Shrink hose clamps

Post by Lou's Comet »

Playing on the net looking for stuff for the Comet and came across these. They are only for coolant and vacuum hoses. From what I read you put them on hose, attach hose and shrink the clamp with heat. Anyone try these out yet.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/32934/10002/-1

They would help give engine compartment nice clean look? Also read somewhere that once you get engine to operating temp they tighten even more?

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Heat Shrink hose clamps

Post by A/FX »

These clamps were designed for industrial use and large trucks. They work well and look clean. We have been using them on hot rods for years.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Hey those look neat! the draw back is they would be a ''one time'' thing I guess, & a little pricey. but if someone was trying to clean up & de-clutter an engine bay they would certainly help.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:These clamps were designed for industrial use and large trucks. They work well and look clean. We have been using them on hot rods for years.
A lot
Thanks! A/FX.

Never seen these before, really like them. From what I read just for coolant and vacuum hoses and not for fuel? Do they work on the stock coolant hoses or do they have to be silicone?.

Thanks again for the info
poboyjo65 wrote:Hey those look neat! the draw back is they would be a ''one time'' thing I guess, & a little pricey. but if someone was trying to clean up & de-clutter an engine bay they would certainly help.
Thinking the same but once the car is done I don't think I will be changing hoses and such so the one time use is ok. The removal tool is like $40 but not too bad. Read in one review a little cleaner will take the lettering/numbers off, which would be nice. Really want to have as you say clean/decluttered engine bay and think these will help a lot.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

We normally use standard hose clamps until the car has some miles on it and the bugs are gone. You do not need special hoses or a removal tool to use this type of clamp. Initially I use a heat gun to seat the clamp then the engine coolant heat makes them real tight. Lacquer thinner removes the lettering. I have not used them on fuel lines, fuel lines do not get hot so the clamp will not get tight.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Not to be a stick in the mud but we have seen these fail way to often on large trucks in my city where I am the fleet manager. International trucks love them and they have failed way to many times. We replace the hose and use constant tension hose clamps and problems are gone. No way I would put them on my own car. Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Guys!

Little disappointed to hear of the failures, but prob still give them a try. Will do as AFX said and use standard clamps to make sure everything is right first, them give them a try.

Brian, do the trucks have similar pressure with their cooling systems to cars?

Again thanks for the info!

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Seems like after a certain amount time with regular clamps you could almost run without any, the way they stick & seal .really hard to get off sometimes, if in a tight place.
Johno

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

Hello Lou. These days on modern diesels the temperature and pressure are virtually the same as a conventional gasoline engine. They run them HOT now. To me it just not work the risk of an upper or lower hose coming off. That could be catastrophic in a hurry if all sudden of the coolant on the freeway or something? Maybe these are better? Just giving an opinion. Thanks, Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

b.guggenmos wrote:Hello Lou. These days on modern diesels the temperature and pressure are virtually the same as a conventional gasoline engine. They run them HOT now. To me it just not work the risk of an upper or lower hose coming off. That could be catastrophic in a hurry if all sudden of the coolant on the freeway or something? Maybe these are better? Just giving an opinion. Thanks, Brian
Hey Brian,,,I do appreciate your opinion,

If they are running them hot like the newer cars/trucks they may be running higher pressure caps. Higher pressure caps will raise the boil temp. Did some work on a grand am a while back, think it had to be like 210+ degrees before the fan even turned on. It had a 18psi cap. Also some work on my buddy's 2013 Gmc and think the cap was 20psi.

The Comet came with 13 psi. If the trucks are running higher pressure caps like the newer cars, so they can run hotter. Then maybe more prone to failure ?? Going from 13 to 18/20 psi roughly 40/50% more pressure?

But yes a hose coming off is not something I want. Originaly I was going with spring clamps (and still may), I can get them in black and can position them so the tabs can't be seen. Just not a big fan of the apperance of worm clamps.

Thanks again for your input

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Seems like after a certain amount time with regular clamps you could almost run without any, the way they stick & seal .really hard to get off sometimes, if in a tight place.
Yea been there done that, sometimes just take a razer blade and cut them so not to bend anything. Esp on heater cores.

Lou