Emergency Brake pedal?

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Lou's Comet

Emergency Brake pedal?

Post by Lou's Comet »

Has anyone replaced the emergency brake pull handle with a foot pedal type?

Was sanding my dash today and thinking of how to get rid of the pull handle hanging under the dash. Thought about a pull up handle between the seats like the imports have. But don't really want that either. Then thought about a pedal.

Don't think it would be to hard to adapt one, but if anyone has done this or knows of one that kind of just bolts in :) would love to hear about it.

If I have to just adapt one and fab a mount I would like one like some of the Fords had that you stepped on pedal to set the E brake and then stepped on it again to release it. This way I wouldn't have the release handle. Thinking like late 70's- 80's Ford had them but really don't know.

Thinking this would clean up my dash even more.

Thanks
Lou

SASSY

Re: Emergency Brake pedal?

Post by SASSY »

Hey Lou, I used a 71 Mustang unit. Don't remember install, done in about '74.
Pics somewhere in the view topic of my signature.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have also decided not to reinstall the factory pull lever in my ‘64. I had thought of a pull lever between the bucket seats but decided against it because the look would not fit with the theme of the car. A foot control is the answer.
I found this that fits the bill:
http://www.controlcables.com/emergency- ... off-b2000/

This company offers a full line of cables and brackets. I have used their cables for shifting automatic transmissions and they work well. Some fabrication would be nessesary to mount the foot control bit it should not be too complicated. Buying a new control beats hunting around a junk yard for a suitable set up.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

A/FX wrote:Buying a new control beats hunting around a junk yard for a suitable set up.
Jim
MAN! Spending time in a cool junk yard is one of my favorite times. Just ask my wife :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm not positive but I think the 77 LTD of my dad's had the kind of foot pedal that you pushed it again to release, so I think you are in the right ballpark with your numbers.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Fred, I just got rid of a 71 mustang project car :(
A/FX wrote:I have also decided not to reinstall the factory pull lever in my ‘64. I had thought of a pull lever between the bucket seats but decided against it because the look would not fit with the theme of the car. A foot control is the answer.
I found this that fits the bill:
http://www.controlcables.com/emergency- ... off-b2000/

This company offers a full line of cables and brackets. I have used their cables for shifting automatic transmissions and they work well. Some fabrication would be nessesary to mount the foot control bit it should not be too complicated. Buying a new control beats hunting around a junk yard for a suitable set up.
Jim
Thanks Jim!!! That is exactly what I am looking for! Doesn't look too hard to install. Are their cables pricey? Last build I used Lokar? Universal cables. You cut them to correct length and ends go on with two set screws. They seem to work well and were pretty easy to fit.

And agree 100% buying new beats wandering around the junk yard.

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am taking mine out and putting the pull lever between the seats, I already have one from a mid '90s Mustang.

After loosing the brakes in my Comet, twice, and now the handle is broken anyway, I decided for something easy to access. I know I am doing a total brake system replacement but you can't beat a mechanical stopping system in an emergency.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:I'm not positive but I think the 77 LTD of my dad's had the kind of foot pedal that you pushed it again to release, so I think you are in the right ballpark with your numbers.
Thanks John. I was a mechanic at a Ford garage from 77-80 and thought they had the push-on push-off e brake pedals.

But for the price (thought new would cost more)thinking of just buying the one Jim posted. Vs going to yard removing one, taking it to the shop cleaning/sanding/painting etc.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:I am taking mine out and putting the pull lever between the seats, I already have one from a mid '90s Mustang.

After loosing the brakes in my Comet, twice, and now the handle is broken anyway, I decided for something easy to access. I know I am doing a total brake system replacement but you can't beat a mechanical stopping system in an emergency.

See Ya,
Mike
I was thinking of that route, did a few cars that way and also makes it easy to run cables. And like it better than the under dash pull handle, but didn't like the look of it and maybe, probably, build a console for the Comet later down the line and handle would make it more difficult to build.

I do like the handle being in between the seats for the ease of operation and if the brakes go the handle is in a easy place to operate. Also come in handy for drifting?? Opps,,,,sorry,,,,,,,that's in imports. Comets you drift with the gas pedal,,,, ;)

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Lou,
I prefer products like Control Cables sells over Lokar. I have used Lokar for throttle cables and they work fine but I have seen pictures of the “thimble” with wear slots from the cable that happens with continued use.
Control Cables is a dealer for Cablecraft, I have another Cablecraft dealer near my home called Tewco. So I can just drive there order my cables or Parts and have them in a day.
Pricing depends on the style of cable, the ends, and length. When it comes to throttle and brakes I tend not worry about cost as much as safety.
Jim

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I purchased a black lever style e brake that was going to integrate into a custom console between the seats, Since mine is going to be a resto mod I was going to add a double din deck stereo with display so I can have built in navigation and back up camera , with that and the shifter I don't think there is going to be enough room.
A friend of mine with a sweet model A put his lever style handle on the floor in front of the seat sideways, you would hardly know it was there. You just reach down between your legs and give it a pull .(insert snicker)
my interior is gutted so I am not in a position to say if that would work on the Comet ,but may be an option

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

x2 for Control Cable...they made my custom replacement e-brake cable assemblies and they’re works of art. Really like the click-to-release pedal idea!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:Lou,
I prefer products like Control Cables sells over Lokar. I have used Lokar for throttle cables and they work fine but I have seen pictures of the “thimble” with wear slots from the cable that happens with continued use.
Control Cables is a dealer for Cablecraft, I have another Cablecraft dealer near my home called Tewco. So I can just drive there order my cables or Parts and have them in a day.
Pricing depends on the style of cable, the ends, and length. When it comes to throttle and brakes I tend not worry about cost as much as safety.
Jim
Jim,

Know what you mean on the Lokar throttle cables. Recently used one on a buddies truck. Cable was really thin and started to wear a groove into the housing end where it goes thru firewall. Had to get it centered pretty much dead on for it not to wear the cable housing end. And still feel it will eventually become a problem .

Will check with Cablecraft when the time comes for mine.

Thanks again for the info and the link... Been a great help!

Lou

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

has anyone got one of the foot operated E brake pedals mentioned installed yet?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have the Control Cables pedal installed but I have not done the cables yet. The pedal is mounted high on the LH kick panel, there is more than enough room for the clutch pedal and even a dead pedal if I decide to install one. I have to have custom cables made for the primary and secondary cables because I moved the inner wheel housing back eliminating the normal cable routing area and I have big tube headers that will be in the way of the stock secondary cable route.
Jim