c4 trans planetery

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Kingspeedy2

c4 trans planetery

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I have my c4 trans apart, and was inspecting my stock planetary set , there is some end float and some detectable play between the gears and the shafts ,no visble wear on the gear teeth flanks .A friend who has put a lot of transmission together says its not a big deal.i trust his opinion on that. I am only looking at running 400 HP .
That being said now would be the time to replace it.Iwould use a new stock one if I could find one .Hard parts are getting difficult for the C4. The alternatives are a fully rollerized 3 gear or 6 gear.

has anyone had experience with the C4 to know if the pinions have some play on the idler shafts?

I noticed the second gear ratios are different I notice on the 6 gear aftermarket sets from the stock 1.46:1 to 1.57 :1 for the aftermarket ones.

I am also trying to formulate whether this will be an advantage to have the lower 2nd gear ratio or not in my car. I plan on running 2500 RPM stall as recommended by the Howards cam but I have a 3.00 ratio rear.its a car I want to go on road trips in ,hence the low ratio rear

I was thinking the lower ratio would allow the rpm's get higher in second for a given road speed.Its nice to hear an engine roar a little.It will still have the stock 3rd gear ratio
your thoughts.