ford 9 inch axle retainer

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
Kingspeedy2

ford 9 inch axle retainer

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I am working on rear disk and axle install on my Currie ford 9 inch .I was wondering if the axle retaining plate usually gets tightened so its up tight against the axle tube flange or if there is usuall a gap left as shown? I have emailed Currie but so far no reply Image

Lou's Comet

Re: ford 9 inch axle retainer

Post by Lou's Comet »

Not 100% sure but think you need a spacer. On a normal drum brake setup on the rear the backing plate would take up that space. Since you have no backing plate for the shoes I think you need to put a spacer plate in there to take up the space.

Is the gap about 1/8"?

What brand is the rear disc brake kit?

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Some disc brake kits eliminate the bearing retainer plate. Check with the manufacturer of your disc brake conversion.
I am using Baer discs on my 9”, the caliper bracket doubles as the bearing retainer.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Lou you must have been sending me brain waves via the comet network,I was thinking In the middle of the night that there must be some space for when there is a backing plate and then it would be sandwiched up tight.This is a Jegs kits,and the instructions I received were unreadable at best.I will have to verify my particular part number when I am home but it looks like there is a spacer supplied to go in there.
From what I could tell before it wanted me to substitute the original thick flange with the thinner piece which was way to thin for my liking. The brain gets a little foggy when you are putting parts together you have had for several years through several moves.
My finances are better now than when I started this build and I wished I had gone with a higher quality product .now is the time as the I was just mocking up the new parts and nothing is filled with lube.
Like any project with a million decisions some you would like to change .
I did turn down the spigot on the axles to match the ids of the rotors that came with the kit figuring if I needed a rotor on a road trip I could get one that would fit.
Before I turned the axle I removed the axle studs to make turning way easier and safer (big mistake) They where a bear to get out and I had to take then to a machine shop to get them pressed in ,they svrewed up 6 of them over 2 attempts.(I should have known when on the second trip back the guy had alcohol on his breath at 9am)
Question
(1)Does the rotor rely on the Axle spigot to keep it running true,or just the studs

If I get another type of brake system I may have to make a spacer to compensate for the new axle spigot to rotor fit.
I had a hell of a time pressing the bearing retaining rings on so hopefully I can find a new brake system that doesn't require removal of the brand new bearings and original ring retainer.
thanks all for your help

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

oh sorry Lou . The gap is .230

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

If you go to Jegs site and look up your kit there should be a tab to click on for instructions. Here is a link to pdf instructions for one of their kits, it does show spacers.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstruc ... 630601.pdf

Some say the axle spigot to center the rotors some the studs, different opinions depending on who you ask. I would think having the spigot fit nice to help it run true would be better but the studs alone would do the job, as long as the holes for the studs are not sloppy fit. Also seen spacers?? To fit the rotor center holes tight on the axle spigots.

Lou

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Thanks Lou ,i found the instructions for what i think is mine and it does appwar there is a spacer.
Maybe they updated it since i purchased my kit several years ago.
As far as spacer i agree that its better to have the rotor running a close fir to the axle spigot.
I has machined the currie axle spigot -.002 in smaller than the rotor id as the spigot where to big.
The spacer i was talking about if necessary would be for compensating for rhe difference between the Spigot ID of any new rotors i buy from Wilwood for example and the axle spigot dia.
Considering how much trouble those currie wheel studs where to press into the forged axles
I wouldnt bet they are dealdly straight.i would prefer to rely on the spigot.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Wilwood makes “resgister rings” in various sizes you can use. I used ‘em but really, unless something is off 100-ft. lbs. on the old lug nuts the rotor’s not moving! :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)