Clutch or Transmission help

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
fisher

Re: Clutch or Transmission help

Post by fisher »

Rocket989,

I'll take your advice on the cardboard. Where are you located in the KC metro? I live in Lees Summit.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Cool man, have a bud that lives in Lees Summit. I’m NW a bit of Olathe.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

fisher wrote: I live in Lees Summit.
That's cool we need more Missouri Boys!

Of course we accept Rocket because he almost made into our state :P

Good luck on getting your getting, what sounds like, maybe not too big an issue resolved.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

:shock: Close as I wanna be Mike!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote::shock: Close as I wanna be Mike!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
I am going to admit that I have never lived anywhere but the hills of Missouri (SW MO) except for my first year in college was in the middle of KS, too flat for me and windy. And so I am probably a little biased :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

No disputing the wind. PITA come spring for sure. I’ll figure out why I like it someday!! :lol:

fisher

Post by fisher »

I was born and raised in Kansas. Lived in Nebraska, Colorado, Minnesota, and Missouri.. All are good people and helpful car guys. Just got a learn how to live with the weather wherever you choose to be. We don't let the heat and humidity get to us here we just remind ourselves what -35 degrees felt like in Minnesoota :lol:

fisher

Post by fisher »

Well Thought I would give an update on my clutch or transmission issues. Removed the tranny and clutch to find a nice grease coating on the internals of the bell housing. Tranny input shaft seemed a little loose, but I'm no expert so called the man that rebuilt it for me several years ago.......he died two ears ago. Decided to load up the parts and go visit the clutch rebuilder that built the old clutch about two years ago.......shop is closed with a for lease sign on the door. Went to another recommended transmission shop that was helpful but didn't have the most experience with manual trannys. He said the best man to inspect the parts died six months ago.....by now I'm getting a little depressed thinking all the talented people are getting to old to work on these cars :oops: This is the bottom line that most agreed were my issues. The TO bearing was trash, the sealed bearing gave way flinging grease everywhere. Also the flywheel and clutch plate showed some heat marks all on one third of the diameter centered about one of the fingers, leading us to believe that probably on of the three fingers was out of adjustment or broken since install. The blueing on the surfaces was not terrible but concentrated on the one third of the diameter as stated before. All agreed that the input shaft on the tranny was acceptable and normal. Recommendation by the transmission guy was lightly surface the flywheel with a DA sander and install a diaphram style clutch set that had a quality TO bearing included. Experts recommended I purchase a a Luk or Sachs brand clutch since I'm not dealing with high HP engine. I followed their advise (and those on this site) and so far it is a fantastic improvement and works as a good clutch should. Thank you all for your input. When I'm working on the comet this is my "go to" place for advice. Now it is fun to drive again!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Glad to hear you got it worked out. I guess you will have to become the area expert on old cars :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread