Brake Drum Question

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
comethead

Re: Brake Drum Question

Post by comethead »

Son of a gun! Wouldn’t have guessed that one! Good find!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

Ok...

So it's never really resolved, right? The pads are fine now, but still have a little ring when the brakes warm up. Pretty sure this is that crack in the drum, and I've ruled everything else out.

When I go looking for a new 10" front drum for my 64 v8, all I find are the drums without the hub.

Like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamoto-Front ... SwVldcCOJg

I don't have mine apart right now, but I swear the hub assembly is all fixed to the drum on mine.

Like the one in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9J1PK0qVMw

Did 64 have a hub/drum assembly and 65 has them separate? or is there a way to press the hub out of my drum and then press it into a new drum?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

65's are swedged on too. I have one that came from my 65 if you want it for shipping price. I'll get some pics if your interested. OEM & FREE! :wink: I think they have a flatrate shipping box that is 14 or so bucks.
Johno

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I'm probably wrong but won't the hub separate from the drum by driving the studs out?

Groover

Post by Groover »

vicegrip wrote:I'm probably wrong but won't the hub separate from the drum by driving the studs out?
I guess that’s what I’m wondering as I haven’t seen anybody selling the two parts together, but I’ve never tried to take them apart so I assumed it was one piece?

Groover

Post by Groover »

poboyjo65 wrote:65's are swedged on too. I have one that came from my 65 if you want it for shipping price. I'll get some pics if your interested. OEM & FREE! :wink: I think they have a flatrate shipping box that is 14 or so bucks.
yes if we think it really is the exact same as mine? photos and some dimensions would help. I'd say wait and bring it to the gathering but I'd really like to stop ringing my way to every stop sign :oops:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:65's are swedged on too. I have one that came from my 65 if you want it for shipping price. I'll get some pics if your interested. OEM & FREE! :wink: I think they have a flatrate shipping box that is 14 or so bucks.
groover..seems this your answer....for hardly any cost...... :roll: :? pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote:
yes if we think it really is the exact same as mine? photos and some dimensions would help. I'd say wait and bring it to the gathering but I'd really like to stop ringing my way to every stop sign :oops:
Both are v8 cars, should be the same. But I wont be at PF this year.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

I believe the hub is pressed on where it pilots into the center of the drum and not the studs. I also think the aftermarket drums don’t press at all. They’re kind of a slip fit like the rears.
I also believe front disc brake kits are super cheap this day n age :mrgreen:
(And as you know the 4 piston kits are damn near stock. So you can sleep all nice and cozy the night you install it...knowing all is right in the Comet world :lol: )

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

Standby Poboy... based on Joe's thoughts I may try to press one of these off and go the new route. Maverick was just wondering why you have to take the entire hub off every time you take off the drum. Doesn't seem good to reset the bearing every time. Course, he's got all that book learnin' now. :P

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ya know !! on a 64 ford f100 the drum is separate from the hub... :? :shock: :shock:
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

My comet drums were swedged on at the lugs. they used some kind of tool that pinches the lugs on the outside of the drum, kind of a squared off looking pinch that acts like a rivet ,with a kinda of a dovetail effect ,,,that locks them on. If you're going with new drums & no worries about damaging the old drums you can use a cut off wheel & grind around the base of the lugs & get them separated. I got one of mine apart like that. I used a 3'' cut off wheel.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:no worries about damaging the old drums you can use a cut off wheel & grind around the base of the lugs & get them separated.
You could also cut the lug bolts off and replace them at the same time.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058