Tie Rod End replacement for a 1964 Comet

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Tie Rod End replacement for a 1964 Comet

Post by A/FX »

The Mustang has the same design manual steering, the tie rod ends and idler arm interchange. The center link is too wide for a Comet so a Mustang link will not work, you must use a Falcon/Comet V8 center link. When I installed the Boss engine and JR headers in my ‘64 I had no choice but to convert the steering to ‘65 style, the ‘64 system interfered with the headers.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

RideAndShoot wrote:So would the 65 Mustang v8 steering be the same upgrade as the 65 comet steering? There’s a local guy selling the setup and I’m considering grabbing it. Is it a direct bolt on to the 64 I6 spindles?
like afx/Jim said, centerlink is wrong . You also need 65 v8 spindles,pitman arm & idler arm. all of it can be mustang parts but the centerlink is comet/falcon only. You're better off leaving it as is than mixing different years spindles or anything.

* some have used granada spindles & had good luck, some had bumpsteer issues.

CSRP makes a granada type spindle with improved geometry & beefier. some of their brake kits have these included.
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks all for the info! I’m eventually going to full mustang II front end, so I’ll just leave it along for now. The guy had it for a good price, so if it was drop in I would have grabbed it. Thanks again.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

When I converted to the ‘65 style steering I also installed disc brake spindles, rotors, and calipers from a ‘70 Boss Mustang. Everything worked well the only issue was that a Boss spindle differs from an ordinary Mustang spindle in the depth of the taper for the outer tie rod end. The Boss spindle has a “thicker” end where the tapered hole is for the tie rod end. I solved that issue by using a tapered reamer to make the ‘65 rod end fit the Boss spindle. This time around I am using Baer four piston calipers with drilled and slotted rotors. Discs in the front make a big difference in stopping power.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Maxine and Me

Post by Maxine and Me »

A slightly belated follow-up, but I thought I'd leave this here for folks looking for '64 Comet tie rod ends.

I received my tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves from PST (Performance Suspension Technology) just earlier this month, and I now know where to get replacements. I want to give a big thank you everyone who suggested I try PST. I got the parts for less than I anticipated, and they're just what I need.

For anyone who also has a stock 1964 Mercury Comet with a 260 V8 and manual steering, here are the parts that I ordered:
For inner tie rod ends, I ordered SKU: TRE329R
Link: https://p-s-t.com/i-23158535-inner-tie- ... el%3DCOMET

For outer tie rod ends, I ordered SKU: TRE328R
Link: https://p-s-t.com/i-23159577-outer-tie- ... el%3DCOMET

And for adjusting sleeves, I ordered SKU: TRE2004S
Link: https://p-s-t.com/i-23161277-tie-rod-ad ... el%3DCOMET

As an extra tip, when selecting the specific vehicle fitment, DON'T SELECT COMET 404, even if that's the model you have, as it only gives options for a 170 straight-six, not a 260/289.

Once again, thank you to everyone who helped me out on this thread. I see that additional tips and advice have been added since the last time I was on here. Definitely keeping this one bookmarked for future reference.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Maxine and Me wrote:As an extra tip, when selecting the specific vehicle fitment, DON'T SELECT COMET 404, even if that's the model you have, as it only gives options for a 170 straight-six, not a 260/289.
Yep, most of the time when I'm at the parts store I tell them "64 Caliente" - which more often than not gets them the choice of the 4.3 liter 260. If I say "Comet", they generally only show the six cylinder options.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...