best suspension choice

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
smithhe

best suspension choice

Post by smithhe »

I was wondering if anyone could help me find the best suspension to use for the application I have and what I want out of the car, ive seen so many different kinds of suspension for the comets its kind of overwhelming, I want to use the car for occasional autocross events and possibly the drag strip every once in a while but I don't want it to ride terribly on the way to a car show cause it has full race suspension under it, and I also don't want to end up paying thousands for a suspension package
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

bigdan

Re: best suspension choice

Post by bigdan »

Welcome aboard!

Probably the most cost - effective upgrade would be to the 65 V8 suspension up front. There's a ton of upgrades; 4 piston Kelsey Hayes conversion, 1 1/8" sway bars, etc. Plus, unless a person is an expert, it'll still appear stock. You can grab everything on line new if you want since they're making spindles now also. There's also Wilwood and Baer big brake kits available also - look at 65 Mustang brake kits.

Rear I would do an 8" or 9" swap. I found a 57 9" for mine and still ended up narrowing it a little, but you can buy a new housing if you want, just make sure it's a centered pinion. At that point, you could do whatever you want, there are plenty of 4 link kits, etc that should get you started.

Depending on your wants/needs/etc you can go almost completely bolt in, or you can go wild as well. Either way, build what you want! There'll be plenty of help here either direction you go. Just post pics!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I agree with Dan, for what you want. & later on I would add a 14:1 borgeson power steering kit & shelby quick steer kit.QS is a long pitman & idler arm.it will be make it harder to turn but with less turns of the s wheel (without PS). It will be a lot more fun to autocross with both. I have a 16:1 borgeson kit & quick steer kit & have about 3 turns for lock to lock. & it is so much better driving than my old factory manual 20:1 box that was over 5 turns lock to lock. & I can steer with one hand now. so you could turn quicker & easier. & like Dan said ,Lots of upgrades/parts because of several million mustangs still running around. all of the parts you would need are same as 65/66 mustang parts except for the center link,which is comet/falcon specific. ( slightly different lengths) Comethead is building a roadrace falcon & he used the QS kit & no PS, so we''l see how that plays out ( he may get PS after he manhandles it a few races :lol: )
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I’ve driven the heap enough now - with no assist the steering is too “heavy” IMO. Same stuff...16:1 box, Shelby QS stuff, smaller steering wheel, fatter ties... It’s not bad driving but especially for auto-x it would be a real challenge to be fast enough on transitions....and you’d get worn-out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:I’ve driven the heap enough now - with no assist the steering is too “heavy” IMO. Same stuff...16:1 box, Shelby QS stuff, smaller steering wheel, fatter ties... It’s not bad driving but especially for auto-x it would be a real challenge to be fast enough on transitions....and you’d get worn-out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rocket you might consider electric PS. Since you already have a 16:1 box & QS,,, if it was easier to turn you'd be set. I was thinking hard about getting eps but my 20:1 box was the deciding factor to go with the borg PS,I wish the 14:1 would have been out back then,I would have got it. That guy named Wade has found some eps units that work without buying a brain box for it so you get PS even cheaper than 100 bucks. but EPS or any PS with a stock 20:1 box would not be ideal for autocross.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I can't imagine trying to auto-x with a 5-turn box...you'd need one of the old steering balls like we had on the forklifts! :D :lol: :lol:

I am warming up to the EPS idea...I've read a bunch of that thread, plus Fred did it w/ Sassy.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Do the original factory equipped PS Comets have 16:1 boxes? I plan to go EPS (some day :roll: ), and was thinking swapping out my manual 20:1 box for a 16:1 PS box would help. Would any V8 mid-60's PS box from a Comet, Falcon, Mustang fit?
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Do the original factory equipped PS Comets have 16:1 boxes? I plan to go EPS (some day :roll: ), and was thinking swapping out my manual 20:1 box for a 16:1 PS box would help. Would any V8 mid-60's PS box from a Comet, Falcon, Mustang fit?
Jim
Yes Jim I think all 65s ps cars were 16;1, but some of the earlier boxes with PS were 20;1. but stang boxes are nearly 2'' longer shaft/column ,& earlier comets/falcons were about an 1'' longer .
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:Comethead is building a roadrace falcon & he used the QS kit & no PS, so we''l see how that plays out ( he may get PS after he manhandles it a few races :lol: )
It should be ok. I only need to turn the wheel a little at 120mph :twisted:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed