Help installing replacement floor shifter for AOD

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
GeneB

Help installing replacement floor shifter for AOD

Post by GeneB »

1963 Comet vert 302 with AOD
I am replacing the B&M butchered shifter that came with the car (bought last sept) with a new Hurst shifter. I have the 4 mounting holes thru the tunnel but can't find them under the car. I have the front up on jack stands but can't see well enough to fine the bolts coming thru.
Will they be directly on top on the trans or off to one side? Can they be installed without removing the trans. Trying not to take it to the shop and use the hoist

SASSY

Re: Help installing replacement floor shifter for AOD

Post by SASSY »

Can u push a screwdriver, piece of wire or anything through from above to observe it from under?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Or shine a light thru from the inside? Have someone hold a bright flashlight on each hole from the inside to see where they are located from underneath. Worked for me before.

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

Found left front hole using wire then light. Tough to get at with hand holding nut. Wait till wife gets home and have her turn bolt from top to get it started, then up to shop and hoist to get other 3 bolts
Thank for ideas