Disc Brake Conversion

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
MattDoscher

Disc Brake Conversion

Post by MattDoscher »

I'm interested in doing a front disc brake conversion on my '65 Caliente with 200 6cyl, stock 4 lug 14IN wheels, and auto tranny. Currently the front suspension is all stock and I'm not interested in converting to V8 5 lug gear. Some of the vendor sites say minimum wheel width needs to be 5IN. With my stock wheels I believe the width is 4.5IN. Has anyone completed a successful similar disc brake conversion? Or could recommend a kit that is known to work with the narrow 6cyl wheels?

I'm currently having to apply more pressure than I am comfortable with to get the car to slow down, and if I apply a lot of pressure the fronts grab and don't really release well when I take off (I can still feel them grabbing as if the emergency brake were engaged).

thanks,
Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

comethead

Re: Disc Brake Conversion

Post by comethead »

The early wheels don’t have the side bulge necessary to clear the disc brake calipers.
Your best bet would be to find a set of late 60s 4 lug wheels...by 68/69 all the wheels were designed with disc brakes in mind.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

MattDoscher wrote:
I'm currently having to apply more pressure than I am comfortable with to get the car to slow down, and if I apply a lot of pressure the fronts grab and don't really release well when I take off (I can still feel them grabbing as if the emergency brake were engaged).

thanks,
Matt
You could probably change the hoses & fix those problems. sounds like the hoses are swelled in.
Johno

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

Your best bet would be to find a set of late 60s 4 lug wheels...by 68/69 all the wheels were designed with disc brakes in mind.
Thanks Joe, Hadn't really thought of that but I may!
You could probably change the hoses & fix those problems. sounds like the hoses are swelled in.

Thanks Johno, I haven't actually looked at what the problem might be yet.

Matt
5H25T582252

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

I pulled the front drums off this weekend and inspected the shoes, hoses, cylinders, drums, hubs, etc. The only thing concerning I saw was fine hairline cracking in the shoes. There are no leaks from the hose connections or cylinders, and the hoses look fairly new, the drums looked ok but I don't have the tools necessary for measuring them. The right front drum had more drag than the left front so I backed off the spring until both were about even.

I guess I'll have to take the drums to a shop to have them professionally measured and inspected. I think I would like to find a pair of NOS 9INX2.5IN, C1DZ-1102-B drums and then replace the shoes and cylinders.

Matt
5H25T582252