Just some Suspension Questions

All the stuff under the car, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension & Steering
lavron
Site Admin

Just some Suspension Questions

Post by lavron »

I am going to ask some questions here hoping someone has some experience to share, you have to realize all the suspension work I am doing on my Comet is new ground for me, I have never done anything like this, any knowledge I have comes from asking and searching the web :roll:

I need to probably set this up a little, first you all know, probably, that I am using air springs, I am not putting airbags on the car to lower it when parked, basically I am setting up a ride height and that is where it will stay unless there is a bump I can't get over and then I will raise the car and immediately lower it back to ride height, I think my shocks would mostly need setup to run like any car with metal springs (the only exception being in the rear)

The specs on the airbags are; Front design height is 5.5", collapse to 2.7", expand to 8.625", the bags have built in bump stops. Rear design height is 6.5" (going to run them at 6"), collapse to 2.7", expand to 11", the bags have built in bump stops.

Running the front bag at 5.5" (well that is the plan currently) the wheel can travel 2.8" up before the internal bump is contacted (bag stops are not to be the primary stops) the wheel can also droop, say 3" (not sure how to limit travel down, shock maybe?) I would like to be able to raise the front to clear obstacles, don't know if I need 3" raise, certainly not to get the tire off but I don't know how much stroke the shock should have, maybe 6"?

The rear is slightly different, running the bag at 6" lets the rear tire raise 3.3" before contacting the internal stop (why my c-notch is going to get much, much more shallow) and extend 5" (still not sure how to limit this) they need to extend the full 5" so I can get the rear tires on but generally only a lift of maybe a couple of inches would be ok to clear obstacles, if I could come up with some sort of quick disconnect on the rear shocks to allow tire changes that would be fine, but needs to be semi-simple incase there is a need to change a tire on the road. Not real sure of how much stroke would be needed on the rear maybe 6" or 7"? (unless I can't get any kind of quick disconnect then longer)

The other considerations are how to position bump stops, in the rear would you place them so they would rest on the axle at, say, 2.75" up? I have no idea where to place front bump stops on a M2 front end? But think the same would hold true to engage the stop just before the bag internal stop was reached?

My main thing right now is picking shocks, I am pretty much limited to 5/8" eye shocks for both the front and rear, the front one could have a stem upper mount and may be preferred because I could place a bump stop over the shaft if I can find shocks without top covers.

Anyway if anyone has thoughts or experiences with any of this I would appreciate guidance :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058